semicolon/comma before ie and eg, depending on what follows

I’m editing a manuscript and want to put this puppy to bed tonight.

To sum it up, do we place a semicolon before “e.g.” if what follows is a complete sentence (independent clause)?

There are many ways she can earn money for her tuition; e.g., she can sell her two unused Lamborghinis.
(What follows “e.g.” is in fact an independent clause, so we’d use a semicolon before “e.g.,” correct?)

He brought some of the items requested, e.g., a level, three hammers, and a truckload of sheet rock. (What follows “e.g.” is not an independent clause, so we’d use a comma before “e.g.,” correct?)

Thank you.

My view is:

Your observation in respect of the first sentence is acceptable.

In the second case a dash without the ‘e.g.’ should be better.

He brought some of the items requested – a level, three hammers, and a truckload of sheet rock. (There is also a tendency to use a colon in such contexts, though)

The comma looks odd following the ‘e.g.’

e.g. she can sell her two unused Lamborghinis.

Bev, in an answer to some post on this Forum very recently I have seen you use ‘different to’ rather than ‘different from’ (or even ‘different than’).

As I know you cannot go so easily careless or incorrect, I have checked it and found this statement now under the link oxforddictionaries.com/us/words/ … o-american:

Different to, although common in British English, is disliked by traditionalists and sounds strange to American ears.

I would like to know if it is so common among the Bristish as is stated above, especially when all of my educated friends and I have not heard any Briton speak that way whenever we chance to meet them. Let alone the BBC.

It is commonplace.