Seeking subjunctive expert

I have asked a similar question at three other helplines. The experts and non-experts have all been very, very, very nice. And they have all told me that I am very, very, very wrong. Like Galileo, however, I continue to believe that I am right.

I need someone to make my day by telling me that I am right. Are you going to be that savior?

Consider this sentence: She acts as if she is in love with him.

I think that we all agree that the sentence means: from her appearance and actions, she seems to be in love with him. Of course, we do not know if she is or not. This sentence comes from the great grammarian George Oliver Curme who said that we use the
indicative (ā€œisā€) because we are pretty ā€œconfidentā€ about our opinion.

BUT the great man says that the really ā€œcorrectā€ sentence should be: She acts as [she would act] if she were in love with him.

Granted, we do not speak like this anymore, but I need you to tell me that it is correct ā€“ at least in theory.

Hopefully yours,

James

1 Like

Hi James,

Well, Iā€™m one of those people who has already answered you elsewhere. :wink:

I donā€™t argue that you can say ā€œShe acts as if she were in love with himā€. However, the use of the subjunctive ā€˜wereā€™ adds much more doubt in that sentence than the use of ā€˜isā€™ does. We can use the past subjunctive ā€˜wereā€™ when we speak of the unreal or counter-factual present/future. The past subjunctive can also be used to speak about something that is theoretically possible, but the speakers views it as unlikely, doubtful or not expected for whatever reason.

So, thatā€™s my two cents (again). Letā€™s see what others have to say.
:slight_smile:

ā€œGravitation is not responsible for people falling in love.ā€ ~ Albert Einstein

1 Like

Thank you, ESL EXPERT, for your comments.

So I assume (not wrongly, I hope) that I CAN say: ā€œMona looks/acts as if she WERE boredā€ instead of the currently popular ā€œMona looks as if she IS boredā€ or even (ugh!) ā€œMona looks LIKE she IS bored.ā€ That is, ā€œMona looks/acts as she WOULD act IF she WERE bored.ā€

You have given me some hope.

1 Like

Hi James,

The use of ā€˜isā€™ stresses the conviction and the actuality of the speakerā€™s view. Itā€™s not really a question of right or wrong but of emphasis. There is also a hint of ever so slight ridicule. It comes out with conviction when you say of someone who is extremely bossy.

She acts as if she owns the place.

Alan

1 Like

Thank you, Alan. So it IS correct to say ā€œMona acts as if she WERE bored.ā€ As you said, it is really (in fact) a question ā€œof emphasis.ā€

Thanks for the confirmation.

1 Like