Seeing as though

Hi,

I’ve come across this sentence:

You know, I kind of doubt that seeing as though you lied to us once already.

I wonder what “seeing as though” means? Is it equal to “seeing as”?
Also do native speakers use it often? I looked it up and I drew a blank.
Thanks!

1 Like

Hi,

I think you need a comma after ‘that’. I wouldn’t use ‘as though’ but simply ‘seeing’ or ‘seeing that’.

‘Seeing as’ would be acceptable.

Alan

1 Like

I see,
Thanks Alan!

1 Like

Amongst the first few Google hits for “seeing as though”, I see that someone has written a whole academic paper about this “hitherto unstudied causal conjunction in English”:

linguistlist.org/pubs/papers/bro … erID=22155

1 Like

Thanks Dozy,

I hit on this paper too but since I checked the dictionaries I know of and came up empty I didn’t put much stock in the paper.
So, does this paper stand up to scrutiny?

Thanks again.

1 Like

Oh, godness, I wouldn’t have a clue. It’s far too technical for me! But the more I look at this expression now, the less sense it seems to make…

1 Like

I had a sneaking suspicion that there was a reason the expression ‘seeing as though’ had been “hitherto unstudied”. And that reason was… (drumroll)…

Nobody actually uses it.

The phrase seemed (and still seems) more like a typo or a slip of the tongue to me.

However, I decided to do a search of COCA and the BNC anyway. I got 3 hits in COCA (all in works of fiction) and none in the BNC. Then I did a search of the NY Times and got 8 hits. I was quite unprepared for that! So, it seems that at least a few people actually use ‘seeing as though’ (gasp!), but I can’t say that I’ve ever noticed anyone I know using it.

Here’s a sample from the NY Times, apparently written by a teenager who was posting an opinion about an article that had been published:

“Seeing as though I want to go to college that requires me to take the SAT’s and most likely the ACT’s which can be very stressful on a young student.”

1 Like

I’m pretty sure it’s an established colloquial expression that some people do use, at least in my part of the world. I feel it’s possible that I may even have used it myself on occasion. Whether it was originally a mistake or misunderstanding that then “stuck”, I’m not sure. Certainly, as I say, it appears to make little literal sense.

1 Like

books.google.co.uk/books?id=uhHu … +though%22 says it’s “probably of much more recent origin [than the 19th century]” and “arguably the product of formal blending”. Does anyone know what “formal blending” means?

1 Like

I’m in agreement with Dozy that ‘seeing as though’ is used in the UK. I’ve heard it, though I don’t believe I’ve ever used it.

1 Like

I wonder whether the similarity between ‘see’ and ‘seem’ had anything to do with the development of the phrase. I mean, ‘seem as though’ would be a common enough collocation…

1 Like

Thank you guys!

The thing of it is that I heard it on Law & Order yesterday, said by detective Ed Green (maybe you know him).
So it comes as a surprise to me that Amy is not familiar with it. Hehe.

1 Like

Yeah, especially since I watch Law and Order sometimes. Can’t recall having heard it there either. :frowning:

I do think if it was something I’d heard used often, I would remember having heard it.

1 Like

Fair enough,
Thanks for your input!

1 Like

‘Seeing as though’ is a phrase I’ve quite often heard and indeed used in the UK. However, in the instances mentioned, I would normally just use ‘as’.

1 Like

Old thread, but just Googled “seeing as though” because an arrogant correspondent just wrote me an email containing “seen as though”, and it didn’t sit well with me.

I use “seeing as though” frequently, UK born and bred, though haven’t tested the phrase outside of my immediate family, (that I can recall).

2 Likes

Hello Julie, welcome to our forum. It’s great to have another Brit on board. How are things with you over there across the channel?

1 Like

Hi Julie,
I echo what Torsten has said and let me add my welcome to you as well. Are you in the EFL business? If you are, let’s hear more.
Best wishes,
Alan

2 Likes