See you Friday vs. see you on Friday

Hello I’m Rio and i’m new here. I would like to ask for help about something that’s boggling my mind. It’s the preposition ‘on’. The sentence is
See you Friday.
See you on Friday.
Are both sentences correct? I’m confused because from the book that i’ve read the first sentence is also correct but there’s no explanation why. I hope that you could give me light in this matter. Thanks for your help.

1 Like

In dialogue, both are correct. In formal English, you would need to say “I will see you (on) Friday.” “On” is optional because days of the week are also treated as adverbs in English.

Saturday, I will take you to see your grandmother.
On Saturday, I will take you to see your grandmother.
He said Wednesday that he liked the play.
He said on Wednesday that he liked the play.

1 Like

Thank you Mordant. Now, it’s very clear to me.

1 Like

Oh wait, i’ve just read that it can be omitted informally. Which is a formal English with on or without? Sorry I know that you stated it already above. I was just confused with the new rule that i’ve read.

1 Like

They are the same thing. Friday and on Friday can both act as an adverbial modifier.

1 Like

What’s the difference between ‘in front of’ and ‘in front of the’?

Ahhh how can i remove the voice recorder symbol?

I would say:

See you on Friday
See you Friday
See you Friday night
See you next Friday

1 Like

What is it exciting to call you by your name.
Firstly I thank you to read all my messages and replied answer.
This day only I have finished my examination, then I shall resume to join the forum, but the first question I have to ask : Where is this froum located? I think it is in Cyprus or in Italy, isn’t it?

Rio, I presume your question on #6 is----What’s the difference between “in front of” and “in the front of”----, right? (Otherwise it would only be a matter of 3 words and 4 words)
If you say A is in front of B, we know that each of them is a separate entity.
If you say A is in the front of B, we know that A is part of B.

1 Like

In addition you can also say ‘See you this Friday’.

1 Like