Second-guess

Hi,
I would not second-guess any of this.
In the sentence above, I’d guess the phrase “second-guess” means the same thing as “guess”. But I’m less sure. According to dictionaries, ‘second-guess’ means ‘attempt to predict’.
I’m wondering if there is any difference between them?

Thanks.

To me, second guess means to doubt your own or someone else’s decision.

“With the rain starting to fall, I am second-guessing my trip to the beach.”

“I would not second guess any of this.” means “I agree with all of it.”

Hi Luschen,

Is it the same as “I’m having second thoughts about my trip to the beach”?

Thank you!

Maybe my example wasn’t the best. You second-guess something after the decision has been made - you are already at the beach. You have second thoughts while you are still in the process of making the decision - you have not yet left for the beach.

I see the difference now,
Thanks again!

PS:
I just looked it up here: idioms.thefreedictionary.com/hav … d+thoughts
It says that

have second thoughts
to consider changing a decision you have already made

I’m a bit confused, since you said that it means that [b]you’re in the process of making the decision[b] :slight_smile:
Could you elaborate some more, maybe I’m missing something…

I guess they are more similar than I thought. I do think that “second-guess” would come later in the process, “after the damage has been done” so to speak. Also, you can second-guess yourself or others, but you only have second thoughts about your own decisions.

Ok, thanks for the heads-up!
I appreciate the fact that sometimes native speakers have slightly different opinions on stuff related to their language. :slight_smile:
Or it could be that this particular dictionary messed up on this one.

Dictionaries give two different definitions for “second-guess” that are almost opposites. This is from macmillandictionary.com/dict … cond-guess :

1 (American) to criticize a decision after the results of the decision are known

2 to guess what someone is going to do or what will happen

Luschen’s understanding of it seems closer to #1 (which would obviously make sense if he/she is from the US), whereas I am from the UK and I normally understand it to mean #2.

I would go with the dictionary! Especially with slang and idioms I think you are right that everybody has a slightly different definition in their minds. If you look at urban dictionary you can see the controversy over the definitions of some terms.

Thanks, Luschen.

Thanks, Dozy.