SAT vocabulary help. desperate.

what’s a good book, website, place to get legit SAT vocabulary words to study from. I’ve seen a lot of books with some words at the end and some kaplan flash cards on amazon and stuff but i don’t know if they really help.

They help, but u need to study hard… it’s easier when u read books… sth like Jane Austen will help…

When I took the SAT about two years ago there was no vocabulary section. Knowing the roots of words, rather than just memorizing individual ones, is supposed to help.

Like Ellesbells said, there’s no actual vocabulary section on the SATs. When they reorganized the test, they replaced the analogies section with an essay and a critical writing section. However, knowing more vocab is always good. Collegeboard (www.collegeboard.com) has lots of good test-prep for free. You can learn vocabulary, in addition to doing practice questions from each of the sections.

Hi, maybe this can be of some help . There’s an app for the iphone called Word Champion. I’ve tried it and its it’s little fun app that can be a good studying aid too. The game has a quiz-like interface. You are presented with questions about the defintion or synomym for a word or a phrase, and given several possible solutions. It tells you how many questions you answered correctly, and gives you awards based on your score. When I found this app on the appstore I got it out of curiosity and had a lot of fun with it. It was surprising that it could be such a fun learning tool. This app has been on the Appstore for over a month now. I’m just posting this as it may be of help to original poster and anyone else looking to improve their vocabulary for the writing sections of the SAT.

The app’s itunes preview is here:

itunes.apple.com/tw/app/word-cha … 5146?mt=8#

Sorry if this sounds like spam.

Using sites like vocabcharity.com/ really help to build SAT vocab from experience.

Flash cards and books out there by Kaplan also are nice. Good luck.

Look at Tooth and Nail: A Novel Approach to the SAT. It’s actually pretty entertaining and good if you need to cram. Definitely a lot more fun that memorizing lists of words.

I’ve used a software called memowiz (http://www.memowiz.com), a friend of mine recommended it and it was really good!

I took a Kaplan course but they didn’t mention that the vocabulary is so important, luckily my friend told me.

The best thing about it is that the software is actually learning your knowledge-level so you get only relevant questions (words you don’t know)

I’ve spent hours playing their stupid game…

direct hit is good book.

The best thing you can do is make your own list and your own flashcards! Miriam Holt writes a great article on how to study for the vocab section. Read routinely and every time you don’t recognize a word, put it on a card and look it up in a dictionary!

David G. is a SAT Tutor for Parliament Tutors.

You can also try this video vocabulary

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHTMYDhkut4

You can try this new Facebook page for SAT reading / vocab practice. Here is the link: facebook.com/pages/SAT-Read … 5190408959

Is it your page?

Hey pinkupanku. Try Vocabulary.com. It’s free and it’s better than any paid vocabulary learning program I’ve ever heard of. This website will definitely help you improve your vocabulary, and if you ask me it’s fun.

Glad to help,

• Nick