Sales associate vs. sales representative

OK, could anyone please tell me differences between a sales associate and a sales representative (sales rep)? And while we are at it, what about a sales clerk and a shop assistent? Where and how do they fit into the picture?

Thanks in advance,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, talks: Potential byer leaves voice message expressing his interest in purchasing a used car advertised online[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Torsten

In the companies I know first hand, a “sales associate” is not any different from a “sales clerk” or a “shop assistent”. They’re low level jobs and the people work in one location (in a shop or store). There is often no special education or experience required. I would guess that most of these people (in the US) don’t earn much more than the minimum wage.

But, a “sales associate” could also be different. The job could involve telephone sales. It could be a door-to-door salesperson. And the income could be based on commission. It depends on the company. This term is a bit nebulous. But it sounds good, doesn’t it? :wink: Generally speaking, I would expect a “sales associate” to sell directly to the end-user.

A sales representative is different. A “sales rep” usually works for a manufacturer and sells his/her company’s goods to various wholesalers or retailers (not the end-user). Or sells to other companies (rather than the consumer). A sales rep’s income is often based on how much he/she sells. And many sales reps have to travel quite a bit. (i.e., they travel to their customers). I would also expect a sales rep’s income to be higher than that of a sales clerk.

Amy

Hi

I read some opinion in this topic. I agree with some but I recommend that we can find out some articles at citehr.com by searching.

Rgs