…..'s average

Would you tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expression in bold in the following sentences?

This politician’s average is rather low in the USA to-day.

He hit a single that brought two runners home, and San Francisco held on to win 3-2 and take the National League title 4-1. Clark, whose batting average for the series was an amazing. 650, won the most valuable player award for his play-off record of eight runs, two home runs and eight runs batted in.

average (n) = (sport) the ratio of successful performances to opportunities

…… 's average = personal success in some kind of activity; for example batting average: personal effectiveness in baseball

Thanks for your efforts.

I cannot judge what ‘politician’s average’ means here.

This politician’s average is rather low in the USA to-day.

I cannot judge what ‘politician’s average’ means here.

Hi MM,

I beg your pardon for my wool-gathering. There is something wrong with my original sentence. The modifying word “batting” slipped through my fingers. As a matter of fact the sentence in question should be “This politician’s batting average is rather low in the USA to-day.”

Here is my loose interpretation of the corrected sentence.

At the present time that politician is no in circulation in the USA. (the meaning of the key expression is opposite of its original meaning in the presence of “is rather low”, namely opposite of “he’s getting on in the world”, “he’s become important”)

This politician’s batting average is rather low in the USA to-day.

This may mean that he has voted for the losing side of legislation too often, but there is still not enough text. I don’t think your interpretation is right, though. It doesn’t quite fit US politics.

This politician’s batting average is rather low in the USA to-day.

This may mean that he has voted for the losing side of legislation too often, but there is still not enough text. I don’t think your interpretation is right, though. It doesn’t quite fit US politics.