Run for "the" presidency or just "presidency"?

Hello,

Is the phrase “run for presidency” (for example, the president of USA) grammatically correct? Is “the” needed for this phrase? Please let me know.

Thank you in advance,
sweetpumpkin

2 Likes

Yes, “the” is needed. And in the US, we capitalize the President of the US. It would be “run for the Presidency”, but to me, “run for President” seems more natural.

On the other hand, “run for the Senate” and “run for Senator” both sound equally fine.

3 Likes

So, who is currently running for President and what is the likelihood that man with the orange hair will leave the White House next year?

1 Like

Yes, here in the US, the “election season” seems to last for many many seasons - 2 years! I suppose it rewards endurance, since many names are tossed into the hat as it were and only one candidate per party survives. Unfortunately, I think if the economy keeps doing as well as it has, there is a good change that Great Leader Trump will indeed remain in the White House another four years, at least during those limited days when he is not at one of his dachas, I mean mansions, playing golf.

I certainly hope the Democrats can come up with someone inspiring who can motivate citizens to come out and vote. Joe Biden is not it. Maybe Kamala Harris.

2 Likes

Have you heard of Andrew Yang and if so, what do you make of him and his ideas? As for the economy I think there will be some major changes within the two years mainly because the effects of automation and artificial intelligence will finally show and because environment protection will gain traction. Within the next few years lots of low paid jobs such as in the fast food industry will disappear due to automation.

1 Like

Yes I have Torsten. I actually listened to an episode of the highly entertaining podcast “The Gist” where the host interviewed Mr. Yang. I do think that some kind of universal basic income will be necessary at some point to keep the idle masses from rising up and taking over - sometimes I wonder why they have not done this already! Still, there is no way he will get the nomination, but maybe he can at least make enough of an impression to get the issue on the table.

2 Likes

I feel sort of baffling boggling at the highlighted words here. Please help me out, Luschen.

2 Likes

I think what TJ wants to say is that as long as the official unemployment rate stays as low as it is now the chances of getting Trump replaced are very slim due to human nature.

2 Likes

Maybe, but we need to read between the lines since it is not as explicit!
Thanks, Torsten, anyway.

2 Likes

Yes, it was supposed to be “a good chance”. I’m not sure where the other confusion comes from though. I want Trump to be replaced, so that’s why I used “unfortunately”. In the US, the President gets the credit when the economy is good and the blame when the economy is bad, even though he or she has very little control over the economy. So if the economy continues to do well for the next two years, it is likely that Trump will be reelected.

3 Likes

Luschen, now I understand what you meant. I was misled by those highlighted words since the sarcasm implied by unfortunately didn’t strike me then.
Thanks for the clarification.

3 Likes

Yes, sarcasm can be tricky! Here are the two Great Leaders I am referring to. Apparently they have fallen in love!

trump-and-kim-jong-un-summit

4 Likes

I didn’t notice my thread got long with replies. The picture you uploaded made me smile because it reminds me of a very similar scene just a few days ago at DMZ!

2 Likes