Royal

What is the meaning of royal un the following phrase?
Is used correct “along”?

Viena will host a royal dancesport along the entire weekend.

‘Royal’ has the standard meaning. Here, it could mean:
In the service or under the patronage of a king or queen
or
Of a quality suitable for a king or queen

‘along’ is not the best choice. ‘Through’ or ‘over’ would be better.

Also “Vienna” is misspelled, and “host a royal dancesport” doesn’t sound right to me at all.

I don’t know the answer to your question, but there are just about enough Google hits for “royal dancesport” to make me wonder if it has some special meaning in connection with this activity (like maybe denoting a style of event). But, as I say, I really have no idea. I think only someone with detailed knowledge about the activity could answer your question with certainty.

This seems to be the original blog post
dancesportshow.com/2011/11/a … .html#more

As there is no mention of a Royal dignitary, I presume the term refers to ‘a quality suitable for a king or queen’.
It doesn’t look as if the blog was written by a native English speaker, which possibly explains some of the strange vocabulary usage.

Could have “royal” the meaning of high quality or level?

I check here - [url]ROYAL | English meaning - Cambridge Dictionary

I think it’s unlikely that it’s used in quite the way illustrated in that definition. There are Google references to “royal dancesport” challenges, academies and suchlike from what seem to be several parts of the world (i.e. not just this one event), which makes me wonder if denotes a type of event/competition that got its name through originally, or in one case, being somehow associated with royalty. Just a guess though.

Looking at the google references, they do not seem to refer to ‘royal dancesport’
They combine dancesport + royal, but ‘Royal’ on those hits usually refers to something other than the dancesport from what I can see:
Royal HollowaySchool , Royal Palm Chapter, Toyal Park Hotel, Royal Sonesta Hotel

I don’t believe ‘royal’ refers to an event or competition and can find no evidence relating to that.

My guess is still that the the term is intended to relate to the ‘high quality’ of the competition (suited to royalty) but is used in an unusual way to native ears because the person who wrote it is not native English.

I’m talking about hits for “royal dancesport” in quotes in the search box. I’m not looking at hits which have the word “dancesport” and then the word “royal” in some unrelated phrase.

Could have "regal " the same meaning with royal?

Hi Ned,

It should be fairly obvious that we are only guessing and going with our own intuitive feelings. Your guess is as good as ours. I don’t think you’re likely to get a definitive answer here.