Religious language and religious translation

Hi,

Have you any resources?
Books
Articles
Journals
Any information, or other forums interested in this discipline?

-Kilani

I am not sure of what you are asking for but this site offers many translations of Said Nursi’s work. I’ve read the twentieth letter (in the collection Risale-i-Nur), in my attempt to understand the essence of God. I can’t find the Malay version that I read there now, though. But it seems that they have it in other languages.

nur.gen.tr/en.html#leftmenu= … ntent=Home

Thank you NinaZara for your time and help

I am interested in learning how to translate in general and in religious materials in particular. Theological texts has peculiar characteristics and there is literature on translating them. I would like to know the principles in this discipline.

As for the site you have provided above, when I just read the phrase “You can recommends presentations to your friends”, I was put off by the typo or say, the simple grammar mistake. English wise, you won’t learn much from such works; here I am not addressing the content. The gist of the message is, you have to read quality discourse. Errors happen, but religious content should be given more care*.

As for your search about God, that is driven by intrinsic natural (created) force that could be recognized as a sense of need. You could understand bits by reflection on ourselves and the world we live in at large, and likewise, about why or for what we are here. However, knowing who God is, aside form what He wants you to know, is something beyond comprehension. Were we able to comprehend what the soul is in ourselves? Anyway, why we are here and what is after death are seriously interesting questions to think about, and did God leave us wandering or helpless? I believe not.

Just sharing,

-Kilani

• Arguably, mine is not intended for formal publishing

I won’t be much help but I think this is a wonderful mission. I know it is quite tricky and eventhough we have a lot of translations for the Koran, much of the words used in them do not make sense, eventhough we know them literally. So one attempt that is very useful that I’ve seen was one book (in my father’s possession, I cannot recall the name of the Malay writer) that is dedicated just to give the definitions of words used in the Koran.

I totally agree, the site owner should be more sensitive to his territory. And when I read religious material, it was never with the intent to improve English. Rather, I would compare it to what I’ve known from my own language. I don’t know about other people, but for me, I see things differently in different language. And most of the time, I find certain subject comes easier in another language. For example, when I read something political in my own language, I tend to have my own strong opinion on the subject, compared to when I read them in English where I am easily influenced by the writer.And I also find programming easier to undertand in Japanese, rather in my own language or English.

Yes, I’ve been told this since I was a child and I believe I’ve also been given the answers to the questions you mentioned. The hardest part is to understand them.

Best of luck! :D

P/S: I wish some day I will also turn into a wise and thoughtful woman like you and not be too distracted with worldly things. Hah!

No one is insensitive, but being easily influenced is big trouble. You should challenge the author’s arguments as well as test them against others’ in that field of knowledge. Evaluation may not be easy in areas beyond your area of expertise. Nonetheless, you could make considerable strides if you give critical thinking/reading more priority of your interests; or simply be part of your life.

I agree with you. If you read and carefully think about the inspiring story of the Sahabi (the companion) Salaman Al-Farisee, you would figure out a message that could help you.

Wise is doing the right thing; if so, then I’m not, but I wish so as you do.

Part of it is in Bukhari !!! … you too.

I have never read about Salman Al-Farsi in depth, but in high school we were made to memorize biographies of Islamic prominent figures including his. Hmmm, when was that, oh yes, about 10 years ago (oh, I’m ooold!). I remember him as the one who suggested building the winning ditch in Khandaq.

You’re a man? :o I’m sorry, from your name I thought you were a woman. It sounds very feminine to my ears.

You mean the wisdom in the hadiths? Well, in school we memorized several out of thousands of the hadiths to back up our answers to arguments given. We get extra marks for them.

And in Malaysia, after the Athan is aired on the TV, they always quote Sahih Al-Bukhari. I still get to hear Athan in the morning here from my PC but no Bukharis :frowning:

Okay, I’m done butchering your thread. God bless, always.