Quotes by George W. Bush, a master of the English language...

Good morning everybody,

I’ve just come across a website called «ClickJoke» and I’d like to present to you two interesting statements by George W. Bush. Don’t get me wrong — it’s not my intention to make fun of the President of the United States. Far from it. I’m convinced we are always governed by the political leaders we have selected as well as deserved. In most industrialized countries a great portion of the population spends their days watching insane and sometimes outright primitive TV-shows so what can we expect from our presidents. Here is what the most powerful man of the world has to say:

«If we let the loggers go in and cut down all the trees we wouldn’t have a problem with forest fires
(George W. Bush)

Isn’t that an amazingly savvy proposal? Here is another statement that clearly shows how sophisticated and articulate Mr Bush is:

«It’s no exaggeration to say that the undecided could go one way or another.» (George W. Bush)[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, question-response: Where’s the convention being held this year?[YSaerTTEW443543]

If we let the loggers go in and cut down all the trees we wouldn’t have a problem with forest fires.
(George W. Bush)

I think that your President is indirectly stating that every care and precaution would be taken to protect the forests from not only forest fires but also loggers.
Logging brought about the initial wealth of America. Now the time has come to protect the forests. He is only pointing out that. The improbable conditional clause indicates only that.(If andPast, followed by would+verb)
"If we allowed the loggers to go in and cut…"
This makes me remember Charles Dickens describing his’ Journey to Niagara’
I quote,
“ A great portion of the way was over what is called a corduroy road, which is made by throwing trunks of trees into a marsh…”
“ the stumps of trees are a curious feature in American trevelling. The varying illusions they present to the unaccustomed eye as it grows dark, are quite astonishing in their number and reality. Now there is a Grecian urn…; a woman weeping…;now a very commonplace old gentleman in a white waistcoat, with his thumbs thrust into each armhole of his coat;… a horse; a dog…a hunchback throwing off his clock and stepping forth into the light.”
Narayanan.

I’m not sure I can follow you. Why do you think Bush was talking about care and precaution? It seems he simply hadn’t thought about what he was going to say. This happens quite often to him.

Hey, I should say that’s really amasing))) My Mum commented on it like that: IRON LOGIC! Maybe you won’t get it the right way, but still we liked the quotation)) Thanx Torsten!!!

Hello Jamie,
I understand your point, but it is widely believed both in the USA and outside it that Bill Clinton is the most and George W.Bush is the least intelligent president of the United States. I think a research, which was carried out by a think tank a year or so ago, found this.
Incidentally, I also assembled some silly quotes by Mr Bush, some of which I am posting here:

“I have a different vision of leadership. A leadership is someone who brings people together.” —Bartlett, Tenn., Aug. 18, 2000

“Laura and I really don’t realize how bright our children is sometimes until we get an objective analysis.”—CNBC, April 15, 2000

“She is a member of a labor union at one point.”—Announcing his nomination of Linda Chavez as secretary of labor. Austin, Texas, Jan. 2, 2001

"You teach a child to read, and he or her will be able to pass a literacy test.’’—Townsend, Tenn., Feb. 21, 2001

“We ought to make the pie higher.”—South Carolina Republican Debate, Feb. 15, 2000

Excellent, your post teaches me something else: I should have used “survey” instead of “research” in order not to surprise you. I hope this makes sense now.