Quote of the day: It is precisely what we desire most that is the root cause of our ills

The quote of the day comes from Timothée Parrique who writes in his dissertation on ‘The political economy of degrowth’: It is precisely what we desire most that is the root cause of our ills.

2 Likes

What does it mean @Torsten ?

Well, it can mean different things to different people. In the northern hemisphere the vast majority of people is obsessed with accumulating as much material wealth as possible hoping to find peace of mind that way. However, what they really find in many cases is misery in the form of mental health issues, debt, drug addiction, domestic violence, sexism, etc. The economic system of the so-called ‘developed world’ is not sustainable.

2 Likes

I agree with this quote. In most cases, this is what happens in life. You can want something very much, and it doesn’t come true. As soon as you forget about it, everything happens the way you wanted it to. Often it doesn’t happen when you need it. My grandmother always told me that if I want something very much, I should forget about it. It seems to sound strange and ridiculous. Also, so thought and Marlene Monroe. I realized this when I came across https://turtlequote.com/2020/08/28/quotes-by-marilyn-monroe/.

1 Like