quitting school / quitting the school / quitting his school

When he learned of his failure, George thought of [color=blue]quitting school. But after sober consideration, he realized that would be unwise.

Source
: vocabulary for the High School Student Robert T.Levine

Hello,
Isn’t it incorrect of the author has not used the article ‘the’ or a possessive adjective ‘his’?
I mean why no article ‘the’ or possessive adjective ‘his’ are used before the word ‘school’?

quitting his school
quitting the school

Thank you

I think the best way to put it is: “dropping out of school” (i.e. you quit school before you have a chance to graduate and get a diploma).
You usually quit a job, not school.
That said, you don’t need an article/determiner (a, the, his) if you’re thinking of school in general (i.e. you’re not referring to a particular school/school building)
In your case “school” is more like an activity:

I can’t stay up late because I have school tomorrow.

‘Quitting school’ is more likely to be used than ‘dropping out of school’ in the UK. ‘Leaving school’ would be the most common option (or ‘leaving school early’)

I didn’t know that, thanks!

If my memory serves me right, in America they always say “don’t drop out of school”, and advise you to stay in school hehe :slight_smile:

Thanks for answering fut you didn’t answer my main question.

Isn’t it incorrect of the author has not used the article ‘the’ or a possessive adjective ‘his’?
I mean why no article ‘the’ or possessive adjective ‘his’ are used before the word ‘school’?

quitting his school
quitting the school

Nouns like “school” or “work” when used in their abstract sense should be used without “the” or “a” or “his”.
So in your case it would be incorrect to use “his school” or “the school”.

I believe you can say these:
His school was a four story building.
The school was burned to the ground.

Right. In this case, if you say ‘quit the school’ or ‘quit his school’, it suggests just one particular school. In other words, he might have decided he didn’t like that one particular school and decided to attend a different school instead.

But if you say ‘quit school’, then that suggests he decided to stop receiving an education. In other words, he stopped going to his school and had no intention of going to any other school either.

Many thanks.

Beeesneees,
Instead of “But after sober consideration, he realized that would be unwise.”
can I write: "But after sober consideration, he realized that it would be unwise. "?
Thanks.

Beeesneees,
Please answer my query.
Thanks.