Questions on the conditionals story

Hi
I studied the the story that explains the conditionals today. I don’t know the meaning of these sentences:
1-to take the trouble:
2-to come from a long line:
3-I would get on with it:
Could you help me please?
Best Wishes
Armaghan

Hi Armaghan,
good question, I will try to explain though feel free to correct me.

1. to take the trouble - in other words, to take pains, to make efforts to do smth, e.g. If you had taken the trouble, you would have won the beauty contest (she lost it). In this particular text: “If I had taken the trouble to think about the practical side of the matter, I could have chosen a different service” - If I had thought more about the practical side of the matter, I could have chosen a different service" (he didn’t think of the pros and cons, that’s why he made the wrong choice).

2. to come from a long line - to originate from, e.g. I come from a long line of Russian nobility. Sometimes it can be used ironically. In this particular text: “Again you would probably be exempt from military service if you came from a long line of conscientious objectors” - He would be expelled from military service for constantly objecting everyone and everything (if you came from a long line of conscientious objectors = if you originated from conscientious objectors (ironically)).

3. to get on with - to take actions, to go further doing smth: in this particular text : «If I were you dear, I’d get on with it.» - If I were you, I would do it, whatever.

If I have any mistakes, correct me!

Hi Bonnie,

Welcome to the site and thanks for the explanations. By the way I hope you found the story useful/interesting?

Alan

Hi Alan,

oh yes, the story is very good though in my opinion it is a bit complicated for the english-learning newbies.

Dear Bonnie
Thank you so much. Your explanations are very useful.
Best Wishes

welcome, yegan :slight_smile: