Question tags

She’s definitely not coming= She is definitely not coming.
That’s why the tag question should be “Is she?”

Hello people…

Is this correct?

Don’t you like cooking?
If she likes cooking: Yes I like cooking.
If she doesn’t like it: No I don’t.

I’m thinking it’s quiet confusing if the question is “Don’t you” then I’d answer “Yes” but I’ll continue with “I like cooking.”
Ambiguous. Please help.

You like cooking, don’t you?. If she likes
Never use the main verb.

Thank you Garsio.
Br, Mageed.

thanks Alf,

So you mean I have the correct answer to the wrong question? …hahaha…

That’s a way to see it.
he he

Quote:

i thought it should be (She’s definitely not coming, Does she?

With the veb to be never use do, does, did

She is definitely not coming, is she?

Never, does she?

Hi Trosten,

Thanks for your clear explanation. But is there any differences in pronouncing them? I mean it doesn’t change the meaning?

Regards

Hello everybody,
I would like share with you the way I was taught to make tag questions. That’s right: if a main clause is positive, a question tag must be negative and vice versa:}. The question is, which question word to use at the second part of the sentence? What I always do is that I make a regular question first. Let’s say:“She is always late, isn’t she?”. The regular question would be " Is she always late?" So the question word in this case is “IS”. That means, that in a question tag I have to use “is” or “isn’t”. In this case, the main clause is positive {She is always late, …}. Therefore, question tag must be negative and begin with the question word “isn’t”.
She likes swimming. DOES she like swimming? She likes swimming, DOESN’T she?
They didn’t come on time. DID they come on time? They didn’t come on time, DID they?
You haven’t told me that. HAVE you told me that? You haven’t tald me that, HAVE you?

I hope someone found this helpful:}.

I did a thorough explanation on this thread:

english-test.net/forum/ftopic50854.html

OxfordBlue,
You did a really good job! It can’t be more clear, can it?:}. Thanks!

Thank you Torsten,

This time you really made it easy. I am gonna repeat it, you may correct me where I go wrong.
If main clause is positive, then question tag should be negative.
If main clause is negative, then question tag should be positive.

Example:
she is not going to perform it, is she?
she would not make it, would she?

Everyone’s comments are welcome!

Dear Torsten, I think question tags are easier than some parts of English. Thanks, Natig

Respected,

oh!!! i am fail at all,i missed you a lot ,because i am not catch such technique about Question Tag!!! could you brief me again please.
See my very bad result,i am hasitate…
Awaiting for your prompt reply.
Thanks.

Hi Minud9, If you use a positive sentence, you have to use a negative question tag. For example: You learn English, dont you? And if you use a negative sentence, you have to use a positive question tag. For example: You dont speak English well, do you? The meaning of a sentence depends how you say it. If your voice goes down at the end of a sentence, you don`t really ask a question. When you speak like this, you are inviting the listener to agree with you. But if your voice goes up (say a question tag stronger) at the end of a sentence, you are really asking a question.

Respected Natiq1,
Thanks for Explanation of questio Tags. i am easily follow now.
Many thanks.
Regards and see you soon on forum.

Dear Torsten,

I like your website very much. It really can give me improvement.
Thanks you and all website members.

With warmest regards,
Tina

this question is excellent… really excellent…

your way in explaining structure is very clear ,thank you.