Punctuation Marks: The comma

This is about the comma. I am unsure about using it in sentences like this:

“There are specific instructions in the guidelines all about the numbers in this particular paragraph, so be sure you look at them and make the right choice.” - Is it correct that I have placed it before so, or should I place it before and or before both?

“Another issue applicants seem to have trouble with is paragraph length, so the guidelines clearly state how long your paragraph should be.” - I believe that I might have wrongly placed it before so as it is a long sentence. Is it right that I did so or should I divide the sentence into two?

“That style is described in the guidelines and sample documents are provided, so you can see the difference between clean and full verbatim.” - Should I place it before “and”? Or am I correct about placing it before “so”?

“Finally, remember that the instruction on this test is that it should be in clean verbatim.” - Is it correct that I have placed it before “Finally”?

“In this audio, I have started some sentences with words such as “and” and “so”, and I have used words such as “gonna”.” - I am sure that placing it after “In this audio” is wrong.

“If you transcribe those words just the way I said them, you’re not following CV style, and you’re going to get rejected.” Placing it before “and” is wrong too I believe.

Advises and guidance will be highly appreciated.

2 Likes

Hi, and welcome to our forum. Here is my suggestion:

"In the guidelines, there are specific instructions on the numbers in that particular paragraph, so pay attention to that and make the right choice.

Please note that the word ‘advises’ is a verb. The noun ‘advice’ is uncountable so it has no plural form.

2 Likes

Hello Torsten,

Thank you for the corrections. What about the other questions in my post? I need help on those too.

1 Like

“This style is described in the guidelines, and sample documents are provided so you can see the difference between clean and full wording.”

1 Like

Hi Torsten,

Thank you again.

“Finally, remember that the instruction on this test is that it should be in clean verbatim.” - Is it correct that I have placed it before “Finally”?

“Another issue applicants seem to have trouble with is paragraph length, so the guidelines clearly state how long your paragraph should be.” - I believe that I might have wrongly placed it before so as it is a long sentence. Is it right that I did so or should I divide the sentence into two?

“In this audio, I have started some sentences with words such as “and” and “so”, and I have used words such as “gonna”.” - I am sure that placing it after “In this audio” is wrong.

“If you transcribe those words just the way I said them, you’re not following CV style, and you’re going to get rejected.” Placing it before “and” is wrong too I believe.

I am asking all of this including the ones that you have helped me out with from my first post because although I have learned how to use the comma, I am still unsure of using it in sentences like this. Please help me with the rest and explain why did I do wrong in using the comma in these. This will be very helpful too.

2 Likes

Finally, remember that the instruction on this test is that it is to be written verbatim.

1 Like