Present perfect vs Present Perfect Continuous

Hi everyone. Can you explain me why do we use Present Perfect Continuous in the following sentence: “I have been hearing strange stories about you recently…” And what is the difference between Present Perfect and Present Perfect Continuous? Thank you.
Bella

Hello Bella,

Present Perfect expresses an action already completed by a given moment in the present,it shows that the result of the action is felt at the moment of the speaking. Present Perfect Continuous expresses a continuous action which began in the past and is still going on at the present moment. In your sentence “present perfect continuous” is used because it expresses an action which began in the past and is still going on. (the speaker once heard strange stories about the hearer but it didn’t finish). Though,if you use Present Perfect in this sentence,it’ll be right as well,though there will be a slight difference between their meaning. If you say: “I’ve heard strange stories about you recently”,it means that “hearing strange stories” isn’t going on now.

The present perfect continuous extends the action further. It makes it seem that you are still hearing such stories and possibly that you expect to continue. The present perfect would also work in that sentence, however. The difference would be greater without “recently.”

I have heard strange stories about him.
I have been hearing strange stories about him.

The first could refer to any time in the past. You may or may not have heard any recently. The second sentence means you heard some recently.

Thank you for the explanations. It was easy to understand.

What if/?
I heard strange stories about him. ? (without have)

‘I heard strange stories about him’ i think this is an example of past perfect. it means that it happened in the past and it stopped without continuation.

my question is what is the difference between

“I have been hearing strange stories about you recently”

“I had been hearing strange stories about you recently”

thanks!

I have been hearing strange stories about you. - I’ve heard these strange stories lately.
“I have been hearing strange stories about you. Are you feeling okay?”

I had been hearing strange stories about you. - but they have since been disproved/I am no longer hearing them.
“I had been hearing strange stories about you, but now that I’ve seen you I know they aren’t true.”