Present Perfect (Unit 16)

The Present Perfect

How to build it

[size=150][color=blue]Subject + [color=darkred]to have + [color=green] past participle[/size]

The past participle
When employing [color=darkblue]regular verbs, you just have to add [color=darkblue]‘–ed’ to the infinitive.
Examples:
to close – closed, to call – called, to cook – cooked

When employing [color=red]irregular verbs, you take the [color=green]past participle – usually the third form listed.
Examples:
to write – written, to take – taken, to bring – brought

So a Present Perfect sentence looks like following:

I have closed the door.
You have called the doctor.
He has cooked dinner.
She has written an article.
It has taken the newspaper.
We have brought a present.
You have watched TV.
They have worked hard.

When to use the Present Perfect

There are several words that indicate the use of Present Perfect, such as ‘yet’ ‘not…yet’ ‘since’ ‘for’ ‘already’ ‘just’ ‘ever’ .

You employ this tense when you want to show that the incident you describe has happened in the past and is still the case now. The exact time is not important.

Example: He has already been to London.
–> which means: he went to London at sometime in the past and today he can still say: ‘I have been to London.’

Or: She has lived in Japan for twelve years.
–> which means: she went to Japan sometime in the past and is still living there. The action started in the past and has not finished yet.

:slight_smile:

Hi, Margaritka!

I’m glad to know that this could help you. There will sure be more lessons on tenses in the future!

:slight_smile: Sunny

Hi, sunny.

Since elementary, I have found the perfect tenses of the verb hard to grasp. What a relief to know that this thread exists.

Anyway, I have a question:

What is the difference between these sentences:

She has danced for 30 minutes. (Present Perfect)
She has been dancing for 30 minutes. (Progressive Perfect?)

Do these sentences imply one thing: That 30 minutes has passed and she is still dancing until now? Pls. enlighten me.

Good question! :smiley:

The tense you have employed in the second sentence it the Present Perfect Progressive or Continuous, yes.

Both of these tenses actually mean the same. The only difference is the following:
In the second sentence you focus on the process - the dancing is important and the duration is underlined, since it is a continuous form, whereas
in the first sentence you simply express that at the time you speak the person has danced for 30min.

Does that make sense?

Yes, it does!!
Bull`s eye! :lol:

hi !

I am Hong, from Vietnam. Nice to meet you
Hope you help me to learn English

I can understand you. It was useful for me too. :cry:

Hi Sunny,

I have also some question regarding Present Perfect Continuous Passive Sentences.

After reading your article i recalled the basic rule for Persent Perfect Continuous Tense i.e.

Subject + to have +been +verb(ing from)

But what happen if any other word come instead of past participle for examples,

He has been back at work.
The patient has been in a Cam walker.
He has been able to recover.

I am quite confuse about these sentences structures which i frequently use.

Hi,

The examples you have given are the Present Perfect Simple of the verb ‘be’. In the same way also my previous sentence uses the Present Perfect Simple of ‘have’.

Alan

Thanks Alan,

I will go through for Present Perfect Simple Tense again for recalling.

Would you help me by giving an idea to avoid any confusion on Persent Perfect Tense.

Once agan thank you.

Hi,

One of the devices I used when I was classroom teaching to explain the Present Perfect Continuous was to refer to it as the ‘umbrella’ tense. In other words it covers three times: the past, the present and the future as in: I have been learning French for 5 years. This means I started 5 years ago (past). I am learning it now (the present) and I am going to continue learning it (future).

Alan

Hi,

You might like to read a piece I have done for the site on the continuous forms:

english-test.net/lessons/2/index.html

Alan

Hi,

Once again thank you,

I am wondering now are these given sentence are passive sentences or not. If yes in what form they will be in active voice.

He has been back at work.
The patient has been in a Cam walker.
He has been able to recover.

And also in which sense word “back” is used in first sentence i.e. noun, verb, or adverb.

Hi,

No these are ‘active’ in form. ‘Back’ here is used as an adverb.

Alan

I am very grateful of you.

Please one anwwer more, now i thinks these sentences are persent perfect tenses in active phrase but i suspect that these fill the criteria of persent perfect tenses i.e. (The present perfect tense is a perfect tense used to express action that has been completed with respect to the present)

Hi,

The Present Perfect Simple connects the past and present. In other words it tells you for how long something has existed or from then till now.

Alan

Nice to meet you
Hope you help me to learn English ! :oops:

I really absorb this lesson.
But does it always have to use present perfect tense when we use some word such as already, yet… I mean when we communicate with people.
In my country, some people communicate and use the word “already” as always. They use it for some tense not PP. is this formal english? or its just for talking.!

Hi,

Perhaps you could give me some examples with sentences showing how you use ‘already’ ‘yet’.

Alan

The words 'yet and ‘already’ are also used with other tenses and forms. For example:

I already know the answer.
He doesn’t know the answer yet.
Do you know the answer yet?

I can already swim.
I can’t swim yet.
Can you swim yet?

He’s leaving already.
I’m not leaving yet.
You aren’t leaving yet, are you?
You aren’t leaving already, are you?

By the time he arrived, I had already eaten.
When he I arrived, I hadn’t eaten yet.

Will you have already eaten when he arrives?

In American English, we frequently use those two words with the simple past tense:

I already gave it to him.
Did you give it to him yet?
He didn’t give it to me yet.