Practice: TOEFL SPEAKING Q2 (Various topics)

Information:
Preparation Time: 15 Seconds
Recording time: 45 seconds

Question 2 provides you with only two possible answers. As a result, question 2 is often easier than question 1 because you don’t have to think of your answer. The structure of these questions is always a 20-to-30-word question that asks you to discuss something (especially your opinion).

The topics of these questions do vary quite a bit, but they deal with the same overall topics as question 1.

Graders are trained to assign each of your answers either a 1, 2, 3, or 4 depending on the quality and strength of your answer.

A 1 is uncommunicative; students who earn this score may have survival English but nothing more.
A 2 is limited; this is for students who can survive comfortably with English but cannot express themselves very well.
A 3 is communicative; students with this score are comfortable with English and have next to no limitation with the language.
A 4 is nearly fluent; this is awarded to students who display a fluent command of the language.

Tips:
Your success will come from your comfort, your technique, and your ability to get over your feeling of “I don’t know how to answer this” and just speak.

Don’t spend time on thinking of an answer. Just choose something that you think is ok, that you can support.

Write your answer before the question finishes because you know the last sentence will always be something like, “use specific reasons and details to explain your answer.” Don’t wait for that sentence to end.

Always look at the timer.

Focus on your answer and don’t think “Am I doing good job”, as you say.

Even if your answer has no sense, your quality of speech should be relatively calm and natural. So, there would be a perception of your ability to speak well.

Some more tips:
Record yourself.

Make a transcript of it.

Study your transcript against the above format.

Fix it and make it perfect.

Then rerecord it.

[b]In this post anyone can post your response to the questions.

And anyone can make any suggestions/advice to the responses of other student.

Feel free to discuss anything regarding TOEFL SPEAKING Q2[/b]

It is better to study at home or at the library.

Notes:
A: Home
R1: Internet
R2: TV break

My Response:
chirb.it/HsNOrK

Transcript:
In my view, it is better to study at home rather that at the library for two reasons.
First, you can clear your doubt through internet.
For example, when I was studying chemistry in my home, I would have doubts that must be cleared right away to understand the next topic. So, I searched about it on the internet and understood it. I don’t think you can do that in the library.
Second, you can take a break if you are at home.
For example, one time when I was in the library, I was frustrated because I studied a lot, but there was nothing around to eat or relax.
So, I think it’s better to study at home.

Please check and rate my response according to the Toefl standards. Thanks

Whether you think student should take courses from a wide variety of fields or focus on a single subject area.

Notes:
A: Single
R1: study deep
R2: better future

My Response:
chirb.it/PwL9zM

Transcript:
In my view, it is better to take courses that focus on a single field rather than a variety of fields for two reasons.
First, you can study deeply about a field.
For example, when I was in the college here in Mumbai, I have to study the subjects which are only related to computer. And, I gained a lot of knowledge about computers because of that. I think that’s pretty important.
Second, you have a better future if you study only about one field.
For example, after I graduated, I attained really reputed job because I had great knowledge about computers. If I had taken courses that focus on a variety of fields, I don’t think this would have been possible.
That’s why I feel that way.

Please check and rate my response according to the Toefl standards. Thanks

Whether first-year college students should be required to live in the dormitory or be allowed to live off campus in apartment of their own.

Notes:
A: Require
R1: Safe
R2: Friend

My Response:
chirb.it/BDwbsp

Transcript:
In my view, a first-year college students should be required to live in the dormitory rather than live off campus for two reasons.
First, it is safe when you live in campus.
For example, when I was in college, I used to live in my campus hostel, and it was very safe, there were security guards, there were seniors who looked after us. And, that’s why it is important.
Second, you can make friends when you live in campus who also pursue the same course that you are pursuing and that’s really important because it helps in studying and doing another activity because you are all likeminded.
And that’s why it is better to live in the dormitory.

Please check and rate my response according to the TOEFL standards. Thanks

Whether or not television has been a benefit to humanity.

Notes:
A: Benefit
R1: News
R2: Entertain

My Response:
chirb.it/zFP7Aq

Transcript:
In my view, television has benefit to humanity for two reasons.
First, you can watch television for news and get updated.
For example, when I was in Mumbai in my college, I really didn’t had time to read newspaper, so I used to watch TV for news because it was the fast and easy source available for that. I think that’s good benefit.
Second, you can entertain and refresh your mind.
For example, every day when I get home after work, I feel too tired and just want to do some light activity to relax my mind. And, my first preference is watching TV.
That’s why I think television has been a benefit to humanity.

You have been told that dormitory rooms at your university must be shared by two students. Would you rather have the university assign a student to share a room with you, or would you rather choose your own roommate? Use specific reasons and details to explain your answer.

Notes:
A: Own roommate
R1: Similar
R2: Messy

My Response:
chirb.it/xG1nKs

Transcript:
Personally, I will prefer to choose my own roommate for my dormitory for two reasons.
First, I will choose a roommate who is similar to me.
For example, when I was in my college in Mumbai, I used to live with my friend Tim, who is very similar to me. And, we did a lot of activities together such as studying, playing games, watching movies. We never argued about it.
Second, a random roommate could be a messy person.
For example, when I doing my internship in Delhi, I had to live with a roommate who was a very dirty person; he didn’t even take bath every day. If I had chosen my own roommate, I don’t think this would be true.
That’s why I feel that way.

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? People should sometimes do things that they do not enjoy doing. Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

Notes:
A: Yes
R1: Explore
R2: New things

My Response:
chirb.it/spLGmG

Transcript:
In my view, people should do things that they not really enjoy for two reasons.
First reason is you can explore more by doing so.
For example, when was in college there was a drawing competition and I didn’t really liked drawing, but when I participated I really liked the experience. And, I think that’s important.
Second, life is for trying different new things.
For example, when I was doing my internship in Delhi, I didn’t really liked Chinese food, but one time I went to a Chinese restaurant with my friends, and I am really glad that I did that.
That’s why I hold this opinion.

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Face-to-face communication is better than other types of communication, such as letters, email, or telephone calls. Use specific reasons and details to support your answer.

Notes:
A: No
R1: Save time, money
R2: convenient

My Response:
chirb.it/E1DfO7

Transcript:
In my view, communication through email or telephone is better than face-to-face communication for two reasons.
First, it could save time and money.
For example, when I was in my college in Mumbai, if I had to have face-to-face communication with my family, I have to travel to get my home. Which is very costly as compare to using phone or email.
Second, it is very convenient.
For example, again, when I was in my college, whenever I had to ask my seniors about any doubts, I just used to email them, so that could reply to me whenever they get time.
That’s why I think communication through email or telephone is better.

Some people believe that success in life comes from taking risks or chances. Others believe that success results from careful planning. In your opinion, what does success come from? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

Notes:
A: Planning is good
R1: Efficient
R2: Chance of failure

My Response:
chirb.it/sdh1mn

Transcript:
In my view, success comes from careful planning rather than taking risks for two reasons.
First, you can be efficient if you plan.
For example, when I was in my college in Mumbai, I always planned my study schedule for my exams. And, I always got good marks because of that. So, I think it is important.
Second, you can fail if you do something unplanned.
For example, a few weeks ago, I had 500 rupees, and I brought a lottery ticket. But, I didn’t won anything. So, I really thought I could have planned and spent it.
That’s why I think planning is better than taking risk.

This one seemed better than your first, as far as the pronunciation went - it would have been better if your answer was what the transcript said

Hi, I think this is your best one so far. Your spoken answer is actually better than your transcript for this one.

This one was good, but I think you need to pause slightly longer for your commas and periods. Many sections sounded like a long string of words and I kept wondering, “when is he going to breathe?” :wink:

Hi, your response had some problems with usage, but your transcript version was much better. Your second example didn’t seem that good, since you seemed to focus on buying a lottery ticket, rather that your failure to plan how to spend your money.

First, thanks a lot Luschen, I really appreciate your help. And, I also want to share and ask few things.

In question “It is better to study at home or at the library.”
It should be, at my home or in my home, at the library or in the library.
Please tell me when to use “at” and “in”

In question “People should sometimes do things that they do not enjoy doing.”
you corrected “liked” to “like”.
{ I didn’t really lik[e ]}
I used liked because I believe that when you talk about past you have to use past tense.
Please tell me the correct way.

In question “Some people believe that success in life comes from taking risks or chances. Others believe that success results from careful planning.”
you corrected “won” to “win”.
{I didn’t w[in] anything}
I used won because I believe that when you talk about past you have to use past tense.
Please tell me the correct way.

Also I would like to share this:
Common terms of colleges is different where I live (I guess)
-like hostel (many of my friends don’t even know the word dormitory)
refer: Whether first-year college students should be required to live in the dormitory or be allowed to live off campus in apartment of their own.
-pursue a course (we don’t use major for that)
-we don’t say I graduated my high school (we just say I am 12th pass)

So, how can I know what will natural to graders? {That’s unfair}

I took my TOEFL on 28/November/2015, and received the scores on 5/December/2015.

I got 26 on the speaking section, which is more that the requirement of my dream grad school. In fact, my overall score is 101, and English requirement cannot stop me from entering any grad school.

I want to thank [color=blue]Luschen. I don’t think this would have been possible without him.

Also, I strictly followed [color=blue]Notefull’s free TOEFL course: notefull.com/content.php?pgID=414