Practice: TOEFL SPEAKING Q1 (Various topics)

Independent Question 1

Information:
Preparation Time: 15 Seconds
Recording time: 45 seconds

These questions have incredible variety because they’re just simple questions that are meant to give you a basic topic to discuss for 45 seconds to evaluate your natural speaking ability. The structure of these questions is always a 20-to-30-word question that asks you to discuss something (especially your opinion).

Graders are trained to assign each of your answers either a 1, 2, 3, or 4 depending on the quality and strength of your answer.

A 1 is uncommunicative; students who earn this score may have survival English but nothing more.
A 2 is limited; this is for students who can survive comfortably with English but cannot express themselves very well.
A 3 is communicative; students with this score are comfortable with English and have next to no limitation with the language.
A 4 is nearly fluent; this is awarded to students who display a fluent command of the language.

Tips:
Don’t spend time on thinking of an answer. Just choose something that you think is ok, that you can support.

Write your answer before the question finishes because you know the last sentence will always be something like, “use specific reasons and details to explain your answer.” Don’t wait for that sentence to end.

Always look at the timer.

Focus on your answer and don’t think “Am I doing good job”, as you say.

Even if your answer has no sense, your quality of speech should be relatively calm and natural. So, there would be a perception of your ability to speak well.

[b]In this post anyone can post your response to the questions.

And anyone can make any suggestions/advice to the responses of other student.

Feel free to discuss anything regarding TOEFL SPEAKING Q1.[/b][/b]

Describe a custom from your country that you would like people from other countries to adopt. Explain your choice, using specific reasons and examples.

Notes:
A: Dhoti Kurta
R1: comfortable
R2: cheap, good quality

My Response:
chirb.it/915dkd
vocaroo.com/i/s1xM8azOE35v

Transcript:
In my view, a custom of my country that other country should adopt is wearing Dhoti Kurta. Dhoti Kurta is a dress for man, and I think this for two reasons.
First, it’s comfortable. For example, in summer season it is very hot and most people like to wear comfortable clothes, so Dhoti Kurta is a best choice for such occasion.
Second, it is cheap and also of great quality. And, you know, many people prefer less expensive clothes that is also of good quality.
So, that’s why Dhoti Kurta is a custom that other people will like of my country.

Please check and rate my response according to the Toefl standards. Thanks

Describe your favorite day.

Notes:
A: Birthday
R1: Calls
R2: Celebration

My Response:
chirb.it/qnN439
vocaroo.com/i/s0UQRxv6Cz4d

Transcript:
In my view, my favorite day is my birthday, and that’s for two reasons.
First, I receive many calls that day. I remember, during my last birthday Neeraj, who is one of my close school friend called me to wish me happy birthday. We had talked after a long time then. And, also many people such as my relatives, colleagues, and friends call me to greet me.
Second, I also like the celebration of my birthday. I celebrate my birthday with my family every year. We all go to a nice restaurant and have a delicious dinner.
And, yeah, that’s why my birthday is my favorite day.

What advice would you give a friend who is having difficulty at work? Explain your choice, using specific reasons and examples.

Notes:
A:
R1: Ask boss
R2: Change job

My Response:
chirb.it/CynABL
vocaroo.com/i/s0opsu3SM41h

Transcript:
In my view, I would give two advices to my friend who is having trouble in his job.
And the first advice is, I would suggest him to meet his boss and consult with him, and find out a plausible solution for him and the company he is working in as well.
And the second suggestion would be if his boss is not willing to make changes according to him, then his should probably change his job and get a new one which suits him better.
And, yeah, basically that’s only I am going to suggest him.

Dear Luschen, Please check and rate my response according to the Toefl standards. Thanks

How do you think someone can make 100 million dollar.

Notes:
A:
R1: Farmer
R2: Mobile company

My Response:
chirb.it/7a71vn
vocaroo.com/i/s0d0SnRjHXZp

Transcript:
In my view, someone can make 100 million dollars in two ways.
First way, he should become a farmer, that’s because farmer produces crops and everybody has to eat to live their life, so I think farming is the way to earn a lot of money.
And second this is that he should start his mobile company because everybody these day use smart phones in every school, colleges, in every business every person is carrying a mobile.
So, these are the two ways to earn a lot of money.

Dear Luschen, Please check and rate my response according to the Toefl standards. Thanks

A person who influenced you. (How the person influenced you)

Notes:
A: Mommy
R1: passion
R2: Care

My Response:
chirb.it/AtbJnp

Transcript:
In my view, a person who has influenced me a lot is my mother, and that’s for two reasons.
First, she is very passionate. For example, she is a chemistry professor in a DIMAT University here in Mumbai, and she is very ambitious about it. Ever though she has years of experience in teaching, I always see her preparing for her lectures. I always admire her, and want to become enthusiastic like her in my field.
Second, she is also very caring. For instance, in spite of being a professor she cares about every family member, always prepare lunch, and dinner for them.
These are the reasons why my mom influenced me a lot.

An activity that you enjoy. (Why the activity is one of your favorites)

Notes:
A: Cricket
R1: Friends
R2: Health

My Response:
chirb.it/safK5O

Transcript:
In my view, my favorite activity is playing cricket, and that’s for two reasons.
First, I enjoy the company of my friends when I am playing cricket with them. For example, last week, I remember a friend named Shubham came to play cricket and we met after a long time, and that was a very good game.
Second reason is that, it is good for my health. For example, I remember when I didn’t played cricket I used to be sick and didn’t recover very soon. After I started playing cricket I became healthier.
And these are the reasons why I like cricket very much.

I thought this one was very good, apart from you pronunciation of comfortable. With the correct pronunciation, I think this one might get a 4, but the others seem closer to the 3 level.

Hi, your answer had a few problems, but this transcript is much better, so I think you recognize most of your issues.

Hi, your delivery is very smooth, but you had some usage mistakes - advice is non countable and you can’t say “suggest him”

Hi, your answer is good, but your transcript version would be even better. Try to add a little more emotion though - your answer sounded a little flat and robotic, almost like you were reading from a script.

Hi, I think the template you are using is ok, but it sounds a little forced - try to use a little more emotion and vary your stresses in your answer.

First, thanks a lot Luschen, I really appreciate your help. And, I also want to share and ask few things.

Sometime my transcription is different from what I said because few times my response is not complete at first try. So, I transcribe it, make it better, and then rerecord my response. But I do that without reading my modified transcription. That’s why it differ from what I wrote.

In question “An activity that you enjoy.” you corrected “played” to “play”.
{For example, I remember when I didn’t played[play] cricket I used to be sick and didn’t recover very [quickly] soon.}
I used played because I believe that when you talk about past you have to use past tense.

Please tell me the correct way.

Hi, I figured that is what you were doing with your transcriptions, although in some cases, your verbal response is actually better than your transcription. As for your question, I answered it in your other thread - present tense is “I do not play cricket.” Past tense is “I did not play cricket.”

I took my TOEFL on 28/November/2015, and received the scores on 5/December/2015.

I got 26 on the speaking section, which is more that the requirement of my dream grad school. In fact, my overall score is 101, and English requirement cannot stop me from entering any grad school.

I want to thank [color=blue]Luschen. I don’t think this would have been possible without him.

Also, I strictly followed [color=blue]Notefull’s free TOEFL course: notefull.com/content.php?pgID=414