Please Review My IELTS Essay

Topic: Many people believe that the best response to high level of violent crime is to increase the length of prison sentences. Others believe that long prison sentences do nothing to prevent crime. Discuss both views and give your opinion.

My answer:
There has been a discussion of whether or not if sentencing longer imprisonment is effective to brutal crimes. Even though some people support this idea, others do not see its impact on punishing them. This essay will cover both sides of this idea and states my opinion.

Pros of lingering the imprisonment would be that it increases the chance of having offenders make amends of what for their wrongdoings. With this, it could help their victims and victim’s relatives cure their grief as well.
Moreover, the prison plays the role of a correctional facility for offenders to build a proper sense of morality and never commit a crime again when going back to society.

On the other hand, some people do not see it as a better choice because their life is secured in a sense. A prison provides them a shelter to stay, 3 meals of food, and potentially work opportunities within the prison. There have been cases that some offenders commit crimes repeatedly because they think it is better to live in a prison than to make up for their lives making up of their livings by themselves.

My opinion goes with the latter idea; I believe that longer term of imprisonment has little effect to punish assaulters. Having longer imprisonment also costs higher more to the government, and our tax should not be spent to secure their place to stay.
My country is one of the remaining countries that still execute the death penalty. I personally believe that we can consider it to punish these violent crimes.

Overall, the longer imprisonment could have an effect to some degree but not in all cases. Other harsh punishments could be considered to impose on those who committed crimes.

2 Likes

There is a debate about whether or not longer prison sentences for brutal crimes are effective. Even though some people support this idea, others do not see it having any effect on the punishment of the perpetrators. This essay will cover both sides of this idea and give my opinion.

The benefits of extended incarceration are that it increases the chance that offenders will make amends for their wrongdoing. This could also help victims and victims’ families overcome their grief.
In addition, prison plays the role of a corrective institution for offenders so that they develop a proper sense of morality and never commit another crime when they return to society.

On the other hand, there are people who do not see prison as a better choice because their lives are secured in some way. A prison provides them with housing, 3 meals, and possibly job opportunities within the prison. There are cases where some offenders commit repeated crimes because they feel it is better to live in a prison than to make a living on their own.

I believe that longer prison sentences do little to punish offenders. Longer prison sentences also result in higher costs to the state, and our tax dollars should not be spent to ensure these people stay.
My country is one of the remaining countries that still carries out the death penalty. I personally believe that we can consider it for punishment of violent crimes.

Overall, the longer prison sentence could have an effect to some extent, but not in all cases. Other harsh punishments could be considered to punish those who have committed crimes.

1 Like

Thank you very much for the review.
Could you please advise if my writing is not good and I should follow your essay entirely?
There are some phrases that look similar to me, so I wonder if you are providing me better writing style, not correcting my sentences?
For examples,

• “they develop a proper sense of morality.” Does it still make sense if I say “they build a proper sense of morality.”?
  • “their lives are secured in some way.” Can I still say “their lives are secured in some way.”?
  • “commit repeated crimes”, not “commit crimes repeatedly”?
  • “carry out’ the death penalty”, not “execute the death penalty”?
    These sentences are translated the same in my language…

Best Regards,

2 Likes

Here is my advice again.

Essay advice

1 Like