Please rate my TOEFL essay!

I agree with the given statement that it is better to marry someone who is similar to you. If you marry someone from a totally different background then you may have to face some unthinkable problems like culture differences, religion difference etc.

If you marry someone similar to you then you have more things to share with your partner, you are able to share a bond with them easily as compared to if your partner is from a different background. For instance, if a boy is from Mumbai and his partner is from San Francisco, then it is obvious that there will be a lot of cultural, ethnical and social differences. If that’s the case then the couple may have to face several problems like language difference, convincing their parents, where to live after marriage, food differences, and a lot more.

Food is one of the biggest difficulty a couple can face if his/her partner is from different background. One of them may be vegetarian and the other non-vegetarian, which can pose a lot of problems in the kitchen. It may happen that someday there’s a mix up and one who is vegetarian mistakenly eats their partner’s food which is non-vegetarian. Wouldn’t that be a big big problem for both as for one it may go against his/her principles to eat non-vegetarian.

Similarly, If one of the partner follows a different religion then it may not be okay for their parents and relative to have their child marry someone from a different religion. Religious pundits may get angry on this and a simple marriage may take form of a fracas.

Whereas, If you marry someone who is from a similar background as yours then it will be easy for both of you to connect with each other easily, you can make up a bond with other instantly and you will be aware about some of the common likes and dislikes of your partner as you both are from similar backgrounds. You won’t have much trouble convincing your parents for marriage.

In conclusion, there are numerous benefits if you marry someone from a similar background rather than someone from a different background. There are exceptions, People who know too much about each other may be able to work a marriage into the different backgrounds but it is rare and not always the case.

3 Likes

Below you’ll find an amended version of your essay. You can check the changes and rate your essay yourself first.

I agree with the statement that it is better to marry someone similar to yourself. When you marry someone with a totally different background, you can face some unimaginable problems, such as cultural differences, religious differences, etc.

When you marry someone who is similar to you, you have more things to share with your partner, you are able to bond with them than if your partner has a different background. For example, if a boy is from Mumbai and his partner is from San Francisco, it is obvious that there will be a lot of cultural, ethnic and social differences. If that is the case, the couple may face various issues such as language differences, parents’ beliefs, place of residence after marriage, different diet and many more.

Food is one of the biggest difficulties a couple may face when their partner has a different background. One of them may be vegetarian and the other non-vegetarian, which can pose many problems in the kitchen. There may be some confusion and one vegetarian may accidentally eat his partner’s food that is not vegetarian. Wouldn’t that be a big problem for both of them, since for one to eat non-vegetarian is against his principles.

Similarly, if one of the partners belongs to a different religion. Then it may not be okay for the parents and relatives for their child to marry someone who belongs to a different religion. Religious scholars might be upset about it, and a simple marriage might turn into a quarrel.

On the other hand, if you marry someone who has a similar background to yours, then it will be easy for the two of you to bond with each other, you will be able to bond with each other immediately, and you will be aware of some of your partner’s common likes and dislikes since you both have similar backgrounds. It will not be difficult for you to convince your parents to marry you.

In summary, there are numerous advantages to marrying someone with a similar background rather than someone with a different background. There are exceptions: People who know too much about each other may be able to have a marriage with different backgrounds, but this is rare and not always the case.

5 Likes

Commenting on the theme of the essay, I’d say a good marriage is founded on the bedrock made of mutual trust and mutual compatibility and mutual compromise.

3 Likes

Thanks for writing an amended version of my essay. I’ve noted down the errors I made.
I think I’d rate my essay 2.5/5. What do you think?

2 Likes

I think the whole grading system is outdated and no longer relevant. Under the old system, your essay would probably be rated 3 out of 5.

3 Likes