...please put the air conditioner down

Its too hot, please put the air conditioner down.

Does this sentence mean I want the temperature of the air conditioner to be lowered?

Thanks.

2 Likes

Yes, it does, so I would say:

It’s too warm. Please turn up the air conditioner.

3 Likes

Thanks, Masme.

Please turn up the air conditioner means to make it cooler.

Does “to turn down the air conditioner” mean to make it hotter?

3 Likes

Yes and no. It all depends on how much the air conditioner has cooled down the room, house, flat,…you live in. However, if you keep it turned down for quite some time, ofcourse your rooms become warmer again, so you may have to turn up the air conditioner once more.

2 Likes

You may also be interested in the follwowing link put the AC on full speed - #8 by Dozy

1 Like

Please make sure you understand the difference between “its” and “it’s”.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s a very confusing sentence. How to understand that one doesn’t mean to physically put it down? I’ve spotted this sentence only once when my air conditioner was under an Aircon chemical overhaul. The guys were confused by my words, but they realized that I’m not a native speaker. As I know, modern translators begin to understand such sentences based on context, so nowadays, learning is not as hard as it was a few years ago. I just wish English will become more like Esperanto with its ease of use and no dualism. Or just that we will have more advanced translators.

2 Likes

The above sentence means that you are carrying an air conditioner unit. You are hot perhaps because the unit is heavy.

When altering the setting of the air conditioner, you should use turn up / turn down.

3 Likes

Please also note the difference between “its” and “it’s”.

2 Likes

Thanks, Torsten.

That was a typo. And sorry for the late response.

3 Likes