Please check my essay. thank you!!! :x

Topic: Supermarkets should only sell food produces from within their own country rather than import from overseas. What are your opinions on this?

Not surprisingly, the demand for imports throughout the world has risen sharply in recent years. This triggers a heated debate whether it would exert an adverse effect on the self-contained economy of every nation or to its benefit. From my point of view, these countries can exploit the great potential of this trade of activity.

To begin with, there is no doubt that food import maintains an abundant supply of products during the course of a year. To put it in perspective, it is certain that each country has its own strengths and specialties because of the dissimilarity of natural resources, climates and geographical features. Should these specialties be imported, it is likely that the supply of products in the market will be less influenced by seasonal factors and people will enjoy a wide range of food imported from their counterparts.

Additionally, it is more important to note that the act of import and export enhances the chance of earning money and investing in better lives. That is to say, there are many countries depending on this trade activity to increase national income. India, for example, whose central focus is on tea is relying on its import to make a living. Most of the Indians place a trust on their crops to build a new home, have their children go to school or even put in electricity. What is more, exporting food has transformed communities. Taking UK as an example, mostly youngsters these days said that they can spend their lives working on farming since they are able to make money and see the future development in it.

On the negative side, some countries are claimed to so heavily depend on imports that take little notice of their own self-sufficient agricultural products.Furthermore, importing perishable food can pose some problems such as gastrointestinal diseases or global warming due to the involvement of air travel. However, it is my belief that government will adopt an effective strategy to strike a balance between external and internal trade. Besides, with the development of food processing industry, it is certain that food can be well-preserved. What is more, were this trade of activity to come to a halt, would the planes stop flying and reducing the carbon dioxide emission?

In conclusion, as mentioned above, the benefits of importing oversea food far outweigh the adverse effects. Therefore, I am convinced that as long as government maintains promoting international trade and domestic industry simultaneously, it is certain that the benefits of importing food will be derived substantially.

Hi, I don’t usually check this forum - if you post your essays on the TOEFL forum I will be more likely to see it. I thought you did a pretty good job with this essay. You have a good structure and some detailed examples that help support your arguments. Your vocabulary is not too bad, though you do have a few word choices that could be improved. You also have some grammatical errors and incorrect sentence structures, but generally your writing is clear and understandable. Overall, I would rate this a 4 out of 5 on the TOEFL scale.

Thank you very much!! :slight_smile: