Please check my essay (Task 2 Ielts writing)

46. Some people believe that living in big cities is becoming more difficult. Others believe that it is getting easier. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.

In recent decades there has been a substantial rising in the number of cities. While some people believe that there are some aspects of city life are making life more difficult for those who live there, I argue with those who consider that the life is becoming easier, even in large metropolis.

On the one hand, there are some disadvantages to take into consideration when living in big cities. Firstly, the cost of living is usually much high in cities, compared with rural areas, from house prices to transportation. Therefore, not everyone are able to enjoy good living conditions, especially for those on low incomes and students who sometimes suffer from genuine hardship and are barely able to make ends meet. More importantly, environmental pollution is the main difficulty. As there is a great deal of residents who use their cars to commute to work, to take children to school or simply get around, the amount of exhaust fumes is fairly high. As a result, there is a deterioration in the air quality, leading to some illnesses associated with respiratory problems.

On the other hand, it seems to me that the benefits outweigh its drawbacks. One reason is that urban citizens have opportunities to access high-quality education in university as well as pursuing a successful career with high salary and job prospects. Recent graduates, for instance, who have attended a university in a big city are unlikely to find work suited to their qualifications in the countryside, whereas the big companies are to be found in the cities. Another key factor is the wealth of leisure activities on offer in metropolis. The cinema, music concerts and sports centre all attract customers, especially young people.

In conclusion, I believe that despite some negative sides, life in big cities is getting easier and pleasanter.

3 Likes

I think overall you have written a great essay, keep up the good work and you will be an IELTS star!

2 Likes

Hi, thank you for reply. Can you check my essay and score it, please? Thank you so much!

3 Likes

I think IELTS is responsible for scores and they will have to adjust their scoring system due to the impact Coronavirus is having on our education system so you need to wait a couple of months.

2 Likes

I would say:

• Over/ In the past few decades there has been a substantial rise in the number of cities. Yet, there are people who claim that some aspects of city life make things more difficult for those who live there, whereas others say they make them easier, even in large metropoles. (metropoles = plural of metropolis)
    they (some aspects of city life)

• The number of cities has risen substantially in/over the past few decades. Some argue that city life makes things more difficult for those who live there, while others say it makes things easier, even in large metropoles.

! Iā€™d choose the second one, if I were you!

I would say:

• Life in big cities has its advantages and disadvantages. or:
  • Life in big cities has its advantages as well as its disadvantages.

Try to be direct tohuy17. I hope these make sense. Please let me know.

2 Likes

Thank you for corrections!

2 Likes