please check and rate this.different friends?

Some people choose friends who are different from themselves. Others choose friends who are similar to themselves. Compare the advantages of having friends who are different from you with the advantages of having friends who are similar to you. Which kind of friend do you prefer for yourself? Why?

Several research studies and an overwhelming number of articles in the popular press discuss features of an ideal friend. While many believe that a good friendship is mainly based on similarities of both sides, others take the viewpoint that friends should be different from one another.

Many psychologist state that the key to a long-term friendship is the mutual help both sides provide. In other words, different viewpoints in a friendship potentiate an ability to offer various types of ideas in face of difficulties. I can clearly remember the time I was tight on budget, and I had gone through all the possibe ways to cut my expenses. One the other hand, I did not dare to take a job since I was so afraid to take responsibilies in workplace. I was so confused and asked my best friend for her help. As a risk taking person, she encouraged me to take a job I was not brave enough to even apply for. I am a cautious person and having a friend who plays life by chance benefits me in a the way she persuades me be a risk taker in my life. Morevoer, difference in friendship is not limited to variety of opinions. Friends with different capabilties are more helpful to each other than those with the same ones. School life is full of clear examples of this concept. As a student who was weak at arts and good at maths, I benefited from having a friend who was totally opposite. We used to help each other with these subjects and got high score in the final exams. Differences in ideas and capabilities strengthens friendship as both sides can offer mutual help.

There are, however, many advantages to having a friend with similar ideas. According to Dr. Miller, an expert in human relationships, about two thirds of people break up their friendships just because they feel emotionally unsupported. Dr. Miller believes that people with similar ideas are better at understanding one another, therefore, are more supportive in times of need and difficulties. The more similarities in thoughts and beliefs, the more appreciative both sides are. Moreover, some schools of thoughts believe that similarity in opinions results in a longer term friendship since less arguments and disagreements are brought up; on the contrary, similarity in ideas and beliefs cements relationships.
All in all , although there are advantages to both having a similar and a different friend, I believe friends with dissimilar feautures are more fun and intersting to be with, as they come up with different standpoints. Their outlook to life differs from ours, and this makes our life more exciting.

TOEFL listening lectures: A lecture from a social studies class

Hi, excellent work. Your thesis seems a bit weak to me, but the rest of your essay is very well organized with good topic sentences and relevant and specific examples that support your ideas. You have a few minor errors in articles and grammar, but overall your writing sounds very natural. I would rate this essay a 4.5 out of 5.