"pick-ups", "good-time girls", and "prostitutes"

Link: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:SheMa … eanBut.jpg

Do the three terms “pick-ups”, “good-time girls”, and “prostitutes” refer to the same kind of persons? I believe so.

No, they are different persons.
good-time girl (OLD-FASHIONED): a young woman who is only interested in having fun, not in serious activities, work, etc
prostitute : a person who has sex with someone for money (you can use another word like “hooker” but it is very INFORMAL )
about “pick-ups”, I do not know this word.

Cheng, I still say they stand for the same type of person, a person who involves in a relationship for monetary gain only.

“Good-time girl” is often euphemistic for “prostitute.” I can’t help with “pick-ups.”

Can you help with prostitutes, Mordant?! :open_mouth:
(Welcome back!)

My dictionary confirms my understanding that a ‘pick-up’ is a casual encounter with someone, with a view to having a sexual relationship - not necessarily involving the exchange of money or other goods/services… so it doesn’t necessarily refer to a prostitute.

Yes, Beees, that’s correct. In context of the poster “pick-up” is still close to practice of prostitution. You can correct me.

Is this sentence correct?
A ‘pick-up’ is a casual encounter with someone to have a sexual relationship.

I think it is. Although I have been instructed, guided on the selection between ‘to have’ and ‘to having’, I still fail to recognize where which one is the right choice. I’m more habitual to use ‘to have’ rather than ‘to having’, perhaps because that’s the combination I encounter more often. Now who knows, perhaps, you can help me with some better guideline so I don’t get confused again.

Thank you for your time and help.

I wouldn’t use ‘to have’ there (which is why I used ‘to having’!)

with a view to having…
with a view to considering…
with a view to seeing if…

This is a common expression.

No, Beees, I wasn’t trying to say that why you didn’t use ‘to have’ instead of ‘to having’. Obviously, why would such a thing confuse you being a native speaker, and additionally being a teacher?! It’s me who have problems with ‘to have’ and ‘to having’. Anyway, thanks a lot.

Hi Jackson,

When I said ‘I wouldn’t say that’ I meant that a native English speaker wouldn’t say that (because it is incorrect) . I hope that the other examples I gave have shown you the correct structure.

No worries, thanks. Have a good day!