Phrasal verbs: to carry along

Hi, everybody,

I permanently have lots of problems with phrasal verbs.
This morning I posted a message with an example that has confused me just recently.
Alan (thanks a lot, Alan!) kindly gave me his explanation on the verb meaning, but as my example seemed to be disputable, proposed to continue in the more appropriate forum :slight_smile:

Well, I’ll take the occasion.

The initially quoted phrase was taken from ‘hand-out’ materials (I am a (UK) ESOL learner).
As far as I can remember this was a tutorial on the language of common newspapers and popular magazines (like The Observer Magazine) and discussing (imagined or real) situations.
(The very end of the tutorial, when usually we are playing with language in imaged and fun situations).

The general context is the following (I’ve got only a page with the (xerocopied) text and have no idea about the source).

:slight_smile:

(transferred from New ESL user?)

I undestand the Alan’s idea, but still am not sure with the verb (when it is used for 'physical transportaion. but when - in abstract, indirect sense, as the synonym for carry away

P.S.
Because I am not confident with phrasal verbs, all I can do is being all ears and saying ‘Dear all, please keep talking on the subject, if you are interested’

Regards,
Tamara

Hi Amy,

Thank you for your response.
Sorry, I have just edited my last post trying to make clear my confusion with the meaning of the verb.

Am I right that carry away is only about mental transportation :), whereas carry along can be also used for physical action, as well (and mostly?) ?

Hi Tamara

No, “carry away” is also used very often in a physical sense.

I would use “carry along” primarily in a physical sense. ***

Amy

*** Edit:
I might say that ‘someone carried me along in times of trouble’. In other words, the person supported me and helped me keep going when I felt like giving up.

O, no… they both can…

‘his fancy carried him away’ – correct?

‘The disease carried away an infinite number of persons.’ © ABBYY Lingvo

Yess!
As it seems to me :), I’ve got it. The difference, I mean :slight_smile:

When someone takes something away from the point or the place we consider – he/she carries it away.
For example, it could be (in my undestanding) main prizes in a competition – right?

When someone take something, has got it and bring it with him/her permanently – he/she carries along with(?) it.

When someone encourages somebody else (as in your example) giving him/her permanent support in his/her difficult time or situation – he carries along
(and the second person in this case is carried along by… - right?)

P.S.
… I can’t comment the above ‘strange’ using of the verb. I just have a page with the text of the exercise.
And the (that) ESL tutor is now inaccessible for me.

P.P.S.
Nice to read you, Amy. I like all your posts, your sense of humour and your energy.

Hi Tamara

If you want to use this phrasal verb this way, you definitely need an object in the sentence:

“She had problems and desperately needed moral support. he encouraged and supported her. He carried her along until she could handle things alone.”
OR → She was carried along by him.

Amy

Hello Tamara and welcome aboard!

The fact that Felicity wants to sell the dress and perhaps doesn’t even get married after all may influence the way I interpret the sentence. But, as I understand it, she was rather swept/dragged/pulled along by circumstances. In other words, things might have happened a bit too fast and were not totally under her control. Maybe she only went along with the whole thing without even being sure of herself or of what was really happening!

Enjoy the site!

Hi Amy,

Thank you for ‘carried her along’.
Yes, this is one of my favourite :slight_smile: mistakes with phrasal verbs… I often lose (leave out?) an object, especially when it should be put before particle (inside :slight_smile: of a transitive phrasal verb).

As for me, it seems completely impossible to keep in memory the loooong list of the phrasal verbs, which could be broken by an object.
This is the list and it isn’t full….

O, Dear…
I clearly undestand that fluent language skills are based not on the memorization of plenty of rules, but on the feeling of the language.
I’ve got it for my native language but not for English. As yet, it is just following (to?) the rules… with the hope on… transition… hmm… ‘the transition from quantity to quality’ :slight_smile:

Thank you, indeed
Tamara

Hi Conchita,

Thank you for your interesting version and the warm welcome.
I really enjoy the site and feel (as?) carried me along by Forum’s people :slight_smile:

Regards,
Tamara