Phrasal verbs: FILL INTO and FILL OVER

Hi Everybody

My name is Cristina I entered in this page two days ago and I find it amazing but I have one question I found two new phrasal verbs fill into and fill over I was wondering if you would explain me the meaning of them, I couldnt find their meanings in the dictionary.

Thanks

Hi Cris

Can you give us the context (the sentences) you found these in?

Off the top of my head, I’d say “fill into” might be similar to “fill in”…
For example: “We had to fill additional data into the table.

And “fill over” might be used this way:
We’ve filled over 75% of the job openings so far.”
(“over” = “more than” )

Amy

Hi Tom

Yes, “off the top of my head” is an idiom. It means that what I wrote (or said) was the first thing that came to my mind. There is no guarantee that what I wrote is the correct answer — in this case because I had no context to work with, so I can’t be sure that my answers are the right ones for Cris.

You should be able to find definitions for “off the top of my head” in a good dictionary.

Amy

HI Yankee Im so sorry… Im new in this page,and I have to get used with it ,I wrote you a letter its on Esl Forum Index/How to learn English it is the last letter of Cristina,I hope you read it,thanks for your answer big kiss for you

Hi Cristina,

Thanks for putting your message on the forum following my comment. It is really a question of whether you are talking about phrasal verbs - verbs that go with a preposition (particle)and have a separate meaning and simply using a verb with a preposition.

Let me try to explain. It is possible to use go on as a phrasal verb to mean continue as in: She stopped talking for a moment and then went on,telling us what happened. This means:she stopped talking and then continued with her story. You could also say: As it wasn’t raining, we decided to go on the grass. This means we decided to walk on the grass. In that sentence we are using the verb go with a preposition and it isn’t a phrasal verb. I think this may be the case with the two forms - fill into and fill over - that they are not really phrasal verbs. We need to know in which sentences you have seen them.

Alan