Phrasal verb: come away from

30 Days to Toeic Test - Day 18

Q1: Mr.Stevens hopes to ____ the training seminar with a greater understanding of his strengths and weaknesses.

ANS: come away from

What is the meaning and an appropriate word replace of this sentence. pls advise.

lowlow

Hi Lowlow,

It means that Mr. Steven has learned more his strengths and weaknesses in the seminar.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: At the toll gate[YSaerTTEW443543]

come away with?

Hi Tamara,

The phrasal verb is to come away from something with something.

I hope to come away from the workshop with a better understanding of the phrasal verbs.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: Now, listen to me![YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Torsten

Thank you for your further explanation and sorry my inattentiveness (come away with is also a phrasal verb and I’ve mistaken them)

Tamara
P.S. By the way (and for no reason), it reminds me the phrase come away none the wiser
:slight_smile:

And, in this case, you’ve come away with some phrasal verb wisdom. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

hihihi,
i am confused now, comeaway from and with …what are the difference now??? pls advise

lowlow

Hi lowlow

You can come away fromwherewithwhat, for example.

Torsten’s example was:
I hope to come away from the workshop with a better understanding of the phrasal verbs.

• the workshop is where (from a place)
  • a better understanding is what (with something)

Does that help?

hihi

What abt “come away with” ?? Pls form a sentence for me pls …thks

lowlow

come away with : what is the best verb to replace??

come away from : what is the best verb to replace??

pls advise thanks

lowlow

Hi lowlow

The phrasal verb here is come away. One meaning for come away is leave (in a certain condition).

The prepostions with or from can be added.

Therefore:
come away with = leave with
come away from = leave from

But I would not say that come away and leave are interchangeable.

thefreedictionary.com/come+away

Amy

hI yankee,

In this case come away from just means " leaving from", what abt “returning”, “participate”," learned"??? pls advise??

lowlow

Sorry lowlow, I don’t understand what you’re asking.

If you are referring to your initial question, then I’d say that in your sentence you could replace “come away from” with words such as finish or complete.

Please note: When you finish/complete a seminar, you would also leave it. As I mentioned, the verb “leave” is not freely interchangeable with “come away”.

Hi Yankee,
sorry to trouble you again. regarding the question can i replace it with “returning” or “participate”?? pls advise

thks
lowlow

Hi lowlow

In your sentence, “return to” or “participate in” would create meanings that are basically opposite to come away from.

Return to” is basically the opposite of “leave”.
Participate in” would refer to the time during the seminar. It does not refer to the completed seminar-- after which you would be able to leave with the result of the full seminar (a “better understanding”).

Replacing “come away from” with either “return to” or “participate in” does not create a sentence with the same meaning.

A second point is:
The words returning and participate also wouldn’t be grammatically correct in the sentence.

Amy

thanks so much Amy ,yankee…

Your welcome, lowlow.

You can call me Amy. (Yankee is just my “forum name”)