Personnel Service group (AFI Delitzsch)

Hi Roberto,

Thanks a lot your great work and all the information you have been sharing. Here is a dialogue I used with the Personnel group last time I worked with them:

A) Good morning, how can I help you?
B) I’m looking for a new job.
A) That’s interesting to hear. To something suitable I need some more information about your professional background. For example, what are your qualifications?
B) Well, after I left graduated from school I studied office management at a technical university. After that I worked as an accountant in several companies.
A) What exactly were you responsible for at your last job?
B) I had to do several things such as keep the books, create invoices, hire new employees, organize business trips, order stationery, write reports and translate our corporate website.
A) So you speak several languages?
B) Yes, German is my mother tongue and English is my second language.
A) It’s very useful that you have such good English language skills because most companies operate on an international level. Can you please tell me what you liked most about your last job.
B) I guess it was the fact that every day was different. Also, I had the opportunity to meet a lot of interesting people.
A) So why did you leave your previous job?
B) Our company was bought by a Chinese competitor and they reduced the staff by 15%. Since I’m older than 40 and female I was one of those who lost their jobs.
A) OK, I understand. How long have you been looking for a job now?
B) I’ve been job hunting for about 9 weeks and I would like to work for an international company.
A) This means you can apply for jobs in logistics, import/export, retail, advertising or tourism. Would you also be willing to work in other parts of Germany or even abroad?
B) Since I have a house in Saxony I prefer to say in the region.
A) Good, then we should start creating your professional portfolio for our job database.
B) This sounds great. What kind of information do you need?
A) We begin with your personal details, then we’ll add your work experience and qualifications and finally we’ll enter your skills and expertise. We will need about 1 hour for the entire process and I suggest we meet again next week.
B) Yes, let me fetch my calendar so we can schedule an appointment.

You may want to review some of these phrases and grammar items.

In addition, please continue work on their vocabulary keyword list.

Best regards,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: Clearing away the snow[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Torsten,

thanks for your detailed report! I’ll review these questions with the group tomorrow and continue working on their specific vocab at all events. I’ll post an update of tomorrow’s lesson as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Roberto

Hi Torsten and Roberto,
many thanks for the interesting minutes.
I wish you a successful week.
Best regards
Uli.
( now busy to draft the handbook " How to use the social partnership approach to develop an entrepreneurial climate at the VET schools system ” )

Hi dear trainers,

I’d like to summarize what I covered last Monday, April 19.
First I wanted the group to get conditioned to the new beginning of the week. That’s why I started out by asking them how they felt and what they had done at the weekend. I had them greet each other again and ask such questions, in addition to more warm-up exercises for the Monday session.
As I noticed the group was getting more attentive and willing to learn more, I reviewed some of the last sentences introduced by Torsten. I also repeated the past tense of some verbs. They also learned a bit about the present perfect in the standard sentence: - Have you ever + past participle?
The usage of this tense (present perfect) was carefully explained to them.
-Then we did some roleplay: a job interview. Some of the ladies played the interviewer/employer and some played the interviewee’s role. Key words, among other things: skills, experience, qualifications, success, apply for, application, fill in, department, arrange, agreement, be responsible for (respond…), interested in, career, challenge, degree etc…

• Pronunciation drill: different sounds of the a-letter, e.g in qualification. Spelling exercises.
  • would like / 'd like: conditional tense/polite form. Short form. Repetition of short answers both in negative and affirmative sentences.
    Since the levels of the participants are not the same, I have been trying to review some basic aspects, specially with the less advanced (Ulrike, e.g.).
  • we also read and translated this text (will/should be reviewed in the next session)
    "How it all began
    And so you meet our first lady who is a bit more than thirty years old. Her full name is Kati Rocaria. She wants to do well, travel and most of all to make money. “Some things simply cost a lot of money. And the truth is that I have expensive tastes”, she admits. Well, Kati was enjoying her work in the sales department of BioPower well enough. She had done her degree in Business Administration and trained as a commercial clerk and had six years of work experience, so she was nobody 's fool. But she felt she needed a challenge (Remember, we said she was a high-flyer). But where to find it?
    Then this:
    Kati (K) at her desk at headquarters. The phone rings. It’s Mr East (E), Human Resources manager:
    K: Good morning, Sales department. Kati Rocaria speaking. How can I help you?
    E: Good morning, Ms Rocaria. It’s Mr East from Human Resources.
    K: Oh, I think my display is broken. I couldn’t see your number.
    E: Never mind. Listen, I’ll come straight to the point. I’ve heard on the grapevine that you’re interested in a move. You feel your work has become a a bit routine.
    K: Well, I wouldn’t put it quite like that. I…
    E: Don’t worry. I may have just the job for you - in Ireland. Biopower intends to set up a sales and admin office on the island.
    K: Oh, that sounds interesting.
    E: So, you’d be willing to have a meeting with me and Mr Thorn , the Board Member, to discuss it?
    K: Yes, indeed I would, Mr East.
    E: I think that’s all for the moment. See you at the meeting.

-we did more exercises or tasks in class:

1. Prepositions at, in, on, to
  2. Telephone etiquette: formal and informal manners. Avoid rude language!
    3: Variety is the spice of life: synonyms for what can I do for you? = How can I help you? = How can I be of assistance?
    Job = position
    Reply = respond, answer etc.
  • abstract nouns ending in -th: birth, growth, death, width, length etc…
    Next time we will review the above-mentioned text and continue the thread with this one: (an excerpt)

Kati gets the job.

Mr East (E) was as good as his word and fixed up a meeting with Mr Thorn (T), the Board Member:
T: …so we’ve talked about your qualifications and experience with us here at BioPower. If we could come to the specific task we’ve got in mind. Mr East, could you give a short resumé of the tasks for Ms Rocaria?
E: Of course, Mr Thorn. Ms Rocaria, as I was telling you earlier we intend to set up a branch dealing with all our energy products but concentrating on our special applications.
K: What about our our subsidiary, Bio World? They are already marketing our products.
E: Correct, but they are having no success with or time for our special. Of course, your question is justified and it will be an experience for us too, but we’d like to try.
T: Yes, Ms Rocaria. Your tasks would include finding the site, arranging rental

Regards,

Roberto

Hi dear trainers,

this is a summary of last Wednesday’s lesson, April 21 (Import and Export Group).

• Welcome speech: After a short presentation of my agenda, I asked some of the participants to introduce themselves again. I wrote the word “Wednesday” on the whiteboard and explained its origin: the Germanic god Wodan or Scandinavian Odinn. Pronunciation drill: silent consonants, e.g. Wednesday, listen etc…
  • I gave them a short introduction of the varieties of the English language wordwide (British versus American, Australian, South African, Jamaican etc.). For example, the different ways R can be pronounced (Rhotic versus non-rhotic).
  • Telling the time: what time is it? Prepositions past and to. The days of the week.
  • Review of the grammar. Gudrun handed in her grammar summary I had asked her to do.
  • European Union: How many countries belong to the European Union? Most of them did not know the exact number (27). That’s why I suggested this task: some EU-countries were assigned to the 17 participants: Sweden, Romania, Portugal, France, the Netherlands, United Kingdom, Germany, Italy, Greece, Zyprus, Spain, Poland, Hungary, Belgium, Luxemburg, Switzerland, Slovenia. Then every participant had to look up some relevant information on these countries, specially: language, economy (goods that are imported and exported), a famous personality from there etc… Some of them read the collected information aloud and I asked then some questions in connection with the mentioned countries. This task will/should be continued next time at all events.
  • explanation of this new vocab: habit, inhabitant, custom and customs, use and usage compared with German -“wohn”-words (Einwohner, Gewohnheit), "sitz/sit-words (Sitte, sitzen) and -“brauch”-words (brauchen, Gebrauch, Bräuche). The word customs = Zoll : customs house. The latin word “rex” = king and the derived word related to English right, German recht, richt-words (recht, richtig, richten etc…): regulation, regulate, reign, rule etc. The word law and the verb to lay. I’d like to add this part on the forum: “The word law replaced O.E. æ and gesetnes, which had the same sense development as law. Cf. also statute, from L. statuere; Ger. Gesetz.” Law and the adjectives legal, illegal.
    The word “border”, cross a border, borderline. Other words that were thoroughly explained: customs control, tariffs, spot checks, random checking, inspector, official, frontier, routine checks, switch off/on, smuggle, contraband, the boot of a car (USA: trunk), duty, pay, consumption/consume/consumer, presents/gifts. Carmen asked me about the difference between present and gift. I’d like to post an answer here:

"Of the two, present is the more informal. The two words are used with things given to other people without expectation of return or compensation. It is not uncommon to hear people say, I gave him a gift/present on his birthday. Both sentences are grammatically acceptable. Careful users of the language make a distinction between the two words. A gift tends to be much more valuable than a present. It usually passes from the rich to the poor, from the high to the low. A present, on the other hand, passes between equals or from the inferior to the superior.

• The children brought a present for the Minister.

• I gave him a pen as a present.

• The foundation is planning to gift the land to the society.

• He made a gift of two million dollars to his old university.

The word gift is also used with the inborn talent or skill that one has. It is because God is believed to have given us these things. We are getting something from a superior being. Picasso had the gift of painting. M.S has the gift of singing, etc. We do not, in these cases, use the word present."

In the afternoon we read and discussed this short text:

"Old habits

Here in the European Union we have mixed regulations and laws concerning crossing borders. Certain countries have no customs regulations with their neighbours, no tariffs and not even customs officials or border guards. On other borders, for example with the U.K., they demand a quick look at your passport. Then you pass to the customs area where they make spot checks."

Task 1: Odd man out.

• custom, tariffs, border guards, customs officials

• controls, regulations, spot checks, routine checks

• border, frontier, limit

• Roleplay: Driving a car. Arrival at the customs check in Dover. Your car is stopped by the customs inspector. Grammar: Conditional and polite forms: could you/would you + infinitive, please? Idioms/phrases: of course, well, oh, okay, we’re just + -ing-verb, possessive pronouns (my, your, his/her/its, our, your, their), comparative form, usage of “than”.

Task 2: synonyms: duty?? spot check?? border?? customs inspector??

• Joke in class: "Any alcohol?, demands the Saudi customs official.
    “No, thanks”, answers Klaus. “I’ve got enough in my suitcase”.

The texts will/should be reviewed next time. Some useful phrases concerning customs will be introduced and practised.

• Spelling and pronunciation exercises in class.

Regards,

Roberto

Hi Roberto, thank you very much for sharing all your classroom activities with us! Speak to you soon, Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC short conversations: Talking about arrival times[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Torsten,

I found a mistake in connection with the EU-countries: Switzerland (EFTA) doesn’t belong to the EU, we had chosen another country in class (Austria). In addition, I’d like to correct the spelling of these two EU-countries: Cyprus and Luxembourg.

Regards,

Roberto

Hi Roberto, many thanks for this. After a while you can go back and edit your original post too if you like. Regards, Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC short conversations: Reordering stationery[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi dear trainers,

here I am again to give you a summarized report of what we did in class last Wednesday May 12.

• every participant was handed in a copy of the English alphabet (26 letters). Then they were asked to find out English words - either off the cuff or with the help of dictionaries -:

A: age, all, ache
B: bee, baby, buy /bee/
C: CD, come
D: devil, do
E: east, elbow
F: fashion, father
G: genius, german
H: hot, house
I: IOU (I owe you),I /I/
J: jeep
K: key, king
L: left, long, life
M: mother, meat, meet
N: no, never
O:owe, or, over /owe/
P: pear, pullover /pee/
Q: quote, qualification
R: right, red /are/
S: sell, so
T: too, tell, taste /tea/
U: utility, use, unit /you/
V: van, voice, vogue
W: wet, water, woman
X: xylophone
Y: you, yes
Z: zero

N.B.: The NATO-Alphabet was introduced in another session.
Some of the above-mentioned words have the same pronunciation as the letter itself: bee, owe, I, you

We read all of these words carefully and slowly. Then we made different kinds of associations: opposite of left/no = right/yes; a word that rhymes with sell = tell or bell etc…
a word with the same pronunciation as too/meet, so to speak a homophone = to, meat; personal pronouns pronounced as a letter: you, I;

After the break, I chose one of the written notes, made a copy of them and handed them out to everyone in class.

• classwork with the help of flip charts: I split up the class into small groups of three or four pupils. Each group was assigned the task to collect words regarding a certain topic: family, fruits, vegetables, in town, means of transportation (vehicles used for public transport in town). The results are available for every participant in class every day. All of the collected words were read aloud and, if necessary, corrected. I had a representative of each group stand up and present us their classwork.

• learning techniques in class or outside of class: brainstorming, mind mapping (diagram used to represent words, ideas, tasks, or other items linked to and arranged around a central key word or idea), learning-by-doing, role-plays: The effective use of role-plays can add variety to the kinds of activities students are asked to perform. It encourages thinking and creativity and lets students develop and practice new language and behavioural skills in a relatively safe setting, and can create the motivation and involvement necessary for real learning to occur. In this context, we practised lots of -ing-forms of the verbs (what are you doing??).

• spelling and pronouncing new words. Words in -ow. now versus know. Snow, blow, row, throw etc…The ending -ow after l or r frequently corresponds to a g or b in German:
    swallow = Schwalbe
    yellow = gelb
    tomorrow = morgen
    sorrow = Sorge, Kummer,
    gallows = Galgen

etc.

• In the afternoon, we used the learning cards of the game “Amici”/Friends (available in some languages):
    Here are some of the questions or tasks:
  1. Name the following cities from east to west: Munich, Vienna and Bern. Answer: Vienna, Munich and Bern.

2. already and not yet. What do you call these words? Answer: Adverbs of time. For example: I’ve already been to the shops. I haven’t been to Plymouth yet.
    Other adverbs of time include:
    Time //Example
    Saturday, Sunday … I am going to the shops on Monday.
    Today I’ve been to the shops today.
    Yesterday I went yesterday.
    Next week/month/year I am going next week.
    Last week/month/year I went last year.
    Finally I finally went.
    Eventually I eventually went to the shops.
    Soon I’m going to the shops soon.
    Just I’m just going to the shops.
    Still I’m still at the shops.

3. I love you. Ulrike and Ivette played the role of a daughter talking to her mom. The question was also asked: do you love me? (auxiliary verb “do”). No clear difference between dative and accusative in English (= Object case), in comparison to German dir/dich, mir/mich etc.

4. pay, bill, money, credit card. Where do you use these words? Name me a situation. Answer: hotel, restaurant, bar, inn or in a shop, e.g.:
    A. How would you like to pay?
    B. Do you take credit cards?

5. Wet and dry. What do you call these words? Answer: opposite adjectives.
    Adjectives/Opposites covered/to be covered in future:

• asleep/awake

• big/little

• black/white

• clean/dirty

• curly/straight

• fat/thin

• forward/backward

• full/empty

• happy/sad

• high/low

• large/small

• light/heavy

• long/short

• man/woman

• new/old

• on/off

• open/closed

• pushing/pulling

• sitting/standing

• strong/weak

• tall/short

• thick/thin

• top/bottom

• up/down

• wet/dry

• young/old

Learning with etymological tricks: wet and water, wash (we-/wa-words), even weak could be associated in this context with a bit of imagination. P = FF/F/PF: open = offen, up = auf, ape = Affe, apple = Apfel. Ablaut in words: e - o: strong and strength, long and length etc…Words having the same root: happy, unhappy, happen, perhaps, mishap and so on.

• Question and answer game (good to get to know each other better): TOPIC GERMAN CITIES SIGHTS FAMOUS PERSONS ETC:…Cities that were discussed this time: Düsseldorf, Halle, Bad Düben, Delitzsch, Berlin, Leipzig. Coming soon: British cities.

• Final activities: Hangman game and a sort of blind man’s buff: the participants were successively blindfolded and an object in class or one belonging to someone else was put into the participant’s hands who groped around it to guess what it is. We had really great fun. Some of the objects: a sweet-scented vernal grass, a tampon, a tissue, a pair of scissors, a condom, a coin, a watch, painkillers, a pencil etc…

Summary: The participants are encouraged to gradually encrease their general vocabulary, their word power and grammar skills in English. Since a great deal of them are still beginners, it is reasonable to repeat these words and grammar structures using different class activities and games (reading, speaking, listening, spelling, writing, watching…). The basic grammar will be also continuously practised and reviewed until a better balance is reached in class.

Have a nice weekend and regards from Leipzig,

Roberto

Hi dear trainers,

I’d like to sum up what we did last week in Delitzsch.

Tuesday, May 25 (HR-Group):
a) - grammar exercises: present continuous versus present simple (copies from Raymond Murphy page 9). the use of the present continuous to denote future actions.

• the difference between action/dynamic verbs versus static/state verbs. Here is a part of the list of verbs we covered on Tuesday:
    agree: She doesn’t agree with us.
    appear: It appears to be raining.
    believe: I don’t believe the news.
    belong : This book belongs to my grandfather.
    concern: This concerns you.
    consist: Bread consists of flour, water and yeast.
    contain: This box contains a cake.
    depend: It depends on the weather.
    doubt: I doubt what you are saying.
    feel (=have
    an opinion):I don’t feel that this is a good
    idea.
    love: I love chocolate.
    matter: It doesn’t matter.
    need: I need a taxi.
    owe: I owe you £20.
    own: she owns two cars.
    prefer: I prefer chocolate ice cream.
    promise: I promise to help you tomorrow.
    realise: I didn’t realise the problem. etc…
  • some important verbs were explained in class.
  • Review of do/does/did-auxiliaries.
  • indefinite pronouns: some/any, somebody/anybody, something/anything.
  • the verb “to want” and “to need”
  • the stress of some words in English in comparison to similar German words: politics, culture, accent, interest etc…
  • some irregular verbs: sell, tell, put, set, say, do, think, etc.

b) Text reading and comprehension. We read this text in class:
Bureaucracy:
If you have a choice to sin against God or bureaucracy, sin against God. He will forgive you.

“We all have a picture of him in our mind - the official or bureaucrat sitting behind the desk wasting our time. This gentleman or lady gives us permission to do things on a personal level but is also responsible for projects such as planning bulidings .Too much officialdom on their part can hold up or destroy investments and create more umemployment”.

The text was read aloud and translated into German.

• the word “mind”. The verb to mind: would you mind + -ing-Verb. ?? The idiom “never mind”.

• the ending -dom: officialdom, kingdom, wisdom. This ending is seldom compared with the other endings such as: -ing, -ship, -ment, -tion etc.

• tasks in class. Learning by association. Antonymous expressions:
    refuse or give a permission/save or waste time/create or destroy investment.

• we also read the following dialogue:
    M: well, that’s fine. “Gone for lunch”. I didn’t know that they kept office hours.
    R: OK, let’s queue up and wait. Look, fill in this form while you’re waiting. And when you’re through, sign on the dotted line.
    M: Hmm. Bureaucracy raising its ugly head again. There’s a section here that says “who is your employer?” What shall I write there? I’m self-employed, aren’t I?
    R: If you put that , you won’t get the residence permit. They’re simple pen-pushers.Write “employed at Barliz”. It’s the only way.

• In addition to the texts and exercises, we practised some sentences in the “superlative form”: What’s the richest country/city in the EU? The poorest region in the EU? etc…

• giving your age: how old are you? How old is Angela Merkel? Who is older Angela Merkel or Barack Obama?

Wednesday, May 26 (Customs group).

• we began with a list of useful words regarding commercial English. Each participant got a complete list with a German translation. Here is the first part (letter A):
    accordance (in accordance with), account, accounting error, acknowledge (: confirm), address (stress in the USA/UK), addressee, advance (in advance, up front), advance payment (down payment, prepayment), advice of payment, after-sales service, agreement, air freight, air waybill, amount due, apology, apply for, approval, as from.

• all of the above-mentioned words were used in useful sentences in class. They will be reviewed in the next session (in a relevant text).

• verb wheel: English Irregular Verbs, The verb wheel shows the “Past” and “Perfect” (past participle) forms, as well as the German translations of important English verbs. We described the meaning behind Simple Past and Present Perfect using signal words, a time line, example sentences and typical “German” mistakes made in both tenses.

• Anna made a word search puzzle that I copied for the whole class then. In this way, the participants brushed up a lot of old vocabulary.

• question words in class: question-and-answer session: what are you doing now? Where does Angela Merkel come from? What do you know about Barack Obama? How many countries belong to the European Union? Why do you need English?

• the verb to want and to need. The use of the auxiliaries do/does (review).

• personal pronouns (review).

• hangman and crossword puzzles. Goal: to review or brush up old vocab.

• spelling and pronunciation exercises.

• telling the time: what time is it? Numbers

Regards,

Roberto

Hi Roberto, thanks a lot for your detailed report. Are you ready and set for the Nordhausen group on Thursday?
Regards,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, talks: One of the mayor’s personal assistants leaves voice message for journalist cancelling interview appointment[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Torsten,

I hope Bernd or someone else in class will be able to fetch me and give a lift again, but this time at the Railway Station in Nordhausen.

My arrival time in NDH: 7:10 (from Leipzig via Halle).

Regards,

Roberto

Hi dear English trainers,

here is my update for the NDH-class, June 3:

• TASKS IN CLASS:
    A. Please listen to this song in English - youtube.com/watch?v=SjJwqDa1QVI!
    B. Read the lyrics then (in bold face)! How much did you understand in this song?
    C. Look up the new words in your favourite dictionary!
    D. Have a look at the explanations below. This is one of the ways of enriching your vocabulary in a foreign language, provided that both languages are cognate.

1.She leads a lonely life
She leads a lonely life

a) lead = führen, leiten:
Some words in German with /EI/ have got ea /i: / in English: heat, mean, lead, bleak, three, free, heath, heal, heat; clean (false friend!!), reach, sheath, scream, sweep!, deal;ordeal! (judgment), weak!;wheat, teach! etc. (! = false friends despite the relationship in both languages)

b) life = Leben, plural lives. The verb is “to live”.
Some words in German with e/ä have got an i in English:
life = Leben, live = leben, it = es; think = denken, liver, mildew, silly! (Please listen to this podcast: podictionary.com/?p=540), sinew, tick, quick!, lick, pitch, quitch, riddle, sill, sister, six, singe, sprinkle, stick, stilt, which. etc.

c) alone, lonely = allein, einsam. Some German words with /ei/ have got /o/ in English: both, bone!, oak, oath, own, foam, goat, ghost, grope, whole, home, loaf, loath!, most, rope, row, soap, spoke, stone, stroke, dough, dole, token. Similarly, such words in German having /e/ /eh/ /äh/: go, mow, sow, snow, sloe, roe(deer) etc.

2.When she woke up late in the morning
Light and the day had just begun

a) wake up, woke up, waken up. English “phrasal verbs” are similar to the “Trennbare/untrennbare Verben in German”.

wake up = aufwachen…Since ch = k you easily get: wake = wachen and make = machen; cake = Kuchen…oak = Eiche. Here is a more complete list: break, book, seek, wake, make, cake, oak, token, speak.
By contrast, ch is also very frequent in English and often stands for German words with k: birch, hatch, itch, chary!, chew, churl!, choose, chin, churn, church, crutch, wretch! (compare Wrack in German), starch, stretch, twitch, bench, finch, French, finch, wrench (compare “verrenken”), stench, drench.
However, there are some words that have ch in both languages, although their pronunciation is different: rich, reach, bleach, such, which, speech, breach, watch etc.

b) day = Tag. More examples with d = t:

• drink, do, dead, red, bread, good, mood!, hood!, sad! (please listen to this podcast: podictionary.com/?p=457), lead, deer!,dear, dough, need, feed, hide! etc.

More examples with g = y/i

• yellow, yesterday, yearn!, yield!, yarn, yawn, yell, lay, may, lie, -ig = -y., rye, eye, say etc.

c) begin, began, begun. This English verb pattern is quite similar to the German one: i-a-u. Just have a look at your verb tables and find out more!
Answer in class: drink, sing, stink, ring etc.

d) light = Licht. More examples with cht = ght
sight, right, might(y), almighty, slight!, night, flight, plight(!), knight(!), German Bight, fight (!), eight, freight etc…

1. She opened up her eyes and thought

a) open = öffnen, since p = ff/f/pf you can also easily guess these words:
up , sleep, ape, ship, sheep, soap, deep (> dip), ripe, apple, copper etc.

b) think, thought, thought. The German verb pattern is somewhat similar: denken, dachte, gedacht, like bring brought brought.

1. She leads a lonely life…mhh she leads a lonely life

2. When she woke up late in the morning light and the day had just begun.

3. She opened up her eyes and thought “Oh what a morning”

4. It’s not a day for work up. It’s a day for catching (a) tan

a) Contractions in English are very, very common. Can you give me a list of some known contractions?
Answer in class: won’t, don’t, I’m, you’re, he’s, she’s, they’re, we’re, it’s, doesn’t etc.
b) catch a tan = get a suntan, go brown.

1. Just lying on the beach and having fun
    a) lie > lying, die< dying. Do you know the rule of converting y > i and reversely? e.g.:
  • Plural forms:
    city > cities
    country > countries
    but: day > days
  • verbs, 3d person of singular:
    he/she/it replies, satisfies, applies, spies, studies
    but: he/she/it plays, says, buys
  • present participle:
    die > dying
    lie > lying

b) have fun. How many idioms containing have can you name?
Why is “have” idiomatic in such expressions? Please do this exercise: redcamelot.com/camelot/exercises … te2%29.htm
This exercise was postponed. However, there were some answers in class: have breakfast, have a shower (or take a shower (USA), which is creeping into British English) etc.

1. She’s goin´ to get you

a) get, got, got (USA:gotten) = (hier): fangen. Compare: forget, forgot, forgotten.

1. All that she wants is another baby
    a) Question: why do we use the present simple form in this case?
    Answer: to want is a “stative verb” with a sense of cognition. In the first two hours we discussed the difference between both types of verbs and stressed the importance of classifying verbs into these two main types > simple tenses versus progressive tenses
    11.She’s goin´ tomorrow, but
    a) Question: why do we use the “-ing-”-form of the verb in this example?

Answer: go = dynamic verb denoting an activity. Sense of future.

12.All that she wants is another babe
Oh ho ho
13. All that she wants is another babe
14. She´s goin´tomorrow, but
15. All that she wants is another babe
Oh ho ho

1. All that she wants
    17.All that she wants

2. So if you are in sight and the day is right she’s the hunter you’re the fox

a) if-sentences. Hum, if the word “If” didn’t exist, my father would be a millionaire and… . If the word ‘IF’ didn’t exist, there wouldn’t be any way to experience fear. Can you construct some simple if-sentences in English?

1. The gentle voice that talks to you won´t talk forever

a) won’t is another contraction: do you know what elements this contraction is made up of? Pronounce the o in this contraction and compare with don’t and doesn’t. Do you notice any difference?

1. It is the night for passion, but the morning means good-bye

2. Beware of what is flashing in her eyes

a) personal pronouns> possessive pronouns. Do you know all of them?
I got a good answer in class.

1. She’s going to get you

2. All that she wants is another babe
    24.She’s goin´ tomorrow, but

3. All that she wants is another babe
    Oh oh oh

After this song and the discussion about dynamic and stative verbs, we moved on to a good joke about a new Japanese student in a class in the USA. At the end, we read a business text: the perfect purchaser - theory and the perfect purchaser reality. The text was read aloud and translated into German.

Regards,

Roberto

Hi dear English trainers,

here is my update for the Delitzsch-class, June 4:

• TASKS IN CLASS:
    A. Please listen to this song in English - ALL THAT SHE WANTS

!
B. Read the lyrics then (in bold face)! How much did you understand in this song?
C. Look up the new words in your favourite dictionary!
D. Have a look at the explanations below. This is one of the ways of enriching your vocabulary in a foreign language, provided that both languages are cognate.

1.She leads a lonely life
She leads a lonely life

a) lead = führen, leiten:
Some words in German with /EI/ have got ea /i: / in English: heat, mean, lead, bleak, three, free, heath, heal, heat; clean (false friend!!), reach, sheath, scream, sweep!, deal;ordeal! (judgment), weak!;wheat, teach! etc. (! = false friends despite the relationship in both languages)

b) life = Leben, plural lives. The verb is “to live”.
Some words in German with e/ä have got an i in English:
life = Leben, live = leben, it = es; think = denken, liver, mildew, silly! (Please listen to this podcast: podictionary.com/?p=540), sinew, tick, quick!, lick, pitch, quitch, riddle, sill, sister, six, singe, sprinkle, stick, stilt, which. etc.

c) alone, lonely = allein, einsam. Some German words with /ei/ have got /o/ in English: both, bone!, oak, oath, own, foam, goat, ghost, grope, whole, home, loaf, loath!, most, rope, row, soap, spoke, stone, stroke, dough, dole, token. Similarly, such words in German having /e/ /eh/ /äh/: go, mow, sow, snow, sloe, roe(deer) etc.

2.When she woke up late in the morning
Light and the day had just begun

a) wake up, woke up, waken up. English “phrasal verbs” are similar to the “Trennbare/untrennbare Verben in German”.

wake up = aufwachen…Since ch = k you easily get: wake = wachen and make = machen; cake = Kuchen…oak = Eiche. Here is a more complete list: break, book, seek, wake, make, cake, oak, token, speak.
By contrast, ch is also very frequent in English and often stands for German words with k: birch, hatch, itch, chary!, chew, churl!, choose, chin, churn, church, crutch, wretch! (compare Wrack in German), starch, stretch, twitch, bench, finch, French, finch, wrench (compare “verrenken”), stench, drench.
However, there are some words that have ch in both languages, although their pronunciation is different: rich, reach, bleach, such, which, speech, breach, watch etc.

b) day = Tag. More examples with d = t:

• drink, do, dead, red, bread, good, mood!, hood!, sad! (please listen to this podcast: podictionary.com/?p=457), lead, deer!,dear, dough, need, feed, hide! etc.

More examples with g = y/i

• yellow, yesterday, yearn!, yield!, yarn, yawn, yell, lay, may, lie, -ig = -y., rye, eye, say etc.

c) begin, began, begun. This English verb pattern is quite similar to the German one: i-a-u. Just have a look at your verb tables and find out more!
Answer in class: drink, sing, stink, ring etc.

d) light = Licht. More examples with cht = ght
sight, right, might(y), almighty, slight!, night, flight, plight(!), knight(!), German Bight, fight (!), eight, freight etc…

1. She opened up her eyes and thought

a) open = öffnen, since p = ff/f/pf you can also easily guess these words:
up , sleep, ape, ship, sheep, soap, deep (> dip), ripe, apple, copper etc.

b) think, thought, thought. The German verb pattern is somewhat similar: denken, dachte, gedacht, like bring brought brought.

1. She leads a lonely life…mhh she leads a lonely life

2. When she woke up late in the morning light and the day had just begun.

3. She opened up her eyes and thought “Oh what a morning”

4. It’s not a day for work up. It’s a day for catching (a) tan

a) Contractions in English are very, very common. Can you give me a list of some known contractions?
Answer in class: won’t, don’t, I’m, you’re, he’s, she’s, they’re, we’re, it’s, doesn’t etc.
b) catch a tan = get a suntan, go brown.

1. Just lying on the beach and having fun
    a) lie > lying, die< dying. Do you know the rule of converting y > i and reversely? e.g.:
  • Plural forms:
    city > cities
    country > countries
    but: day > days
  • verbs, 3d person of singular:
    he/she/it replies, satisfies, applies, spies, studies
    but: he/she/it plays, says, buys
  • present participle:
    die > dying
    lie > lying

b) have fun. How many idioms containing have can you name?
Why is “have” idiomatic in such expressions? Please do this exercise: redcamelot.com/camelot/exercises … te2%29.htm
This exercise was postponed. However, there were some answers in class: have breakfast, have a shower (or take a shower (USA), which is creeping into British English) etc.

1. She’s goin´ to get you

a) get, got, got (USA:gotten) = (hier): fangen. Compare: forget, forgot, forgotten.

1. All that she wants is another baby
    a) Question: why do we use the present simple form in this case?
    Answer: to want is a “stative verb” with a sense of cognition. In the first two hours we discussed the difference between both types of verbs and stressed the importance of classifying verbs into these two main types > simple tenses versus progressive tenses
    11.She’s goin´ tomorrow, but
    a) Question: why do we use the “-ing-”-form of the verb in this example?

Answer: go = dynamic verb denoting an activity. Sense of future.

12.All that she wants is another babe
Oh ho ho
13. All that she wants is another babe
14. She´s goin´tomorrow, but
15. All that she wants is another babe
Oh ho ho

1. All that she wants
    17.All that she wants

2. So if you are in sight and the day is right she’s the hunter you’re the fox

a) if-sentences. Hum, if the word “If” didn’t exist, my father would be a millionaire and… . If the word ‘IF’ didn’t exist, there wouldn’t be any way to experience fear. Can you construct some simple if-sentences in English?

1. The gentle voice that talks to you won´t talk forever

a) won’t is another contraction: do you know what elements this contraction is made up of? Pronounce the o in this contraction and compare with don’t and doesn’t. Do you notice any difference?

1. It is the night for passion, but the morning means good-bye

2. Beware of what is flashing in her eyes

a) personal pronouns> possessive pronouns. Do you know all of them?
I got a good answer in class.

1. She’s going to get you

2. All that she wants is another babe
    24.She’s goin´ tomorrow, but

3. All that she wants is another babe
    Oh oh oh

After this song, we moved on to grammar exercises regarding:
[b]

• present perfect simple and continuous: [/b]

a) How long have you been on the dole?
b) How long have you being learning English?
The use of the prepositions for/since: I’ve been on the dole for ten years/since last year.

Then we lead a short discussion about money: How much money do you need for…?
For example: travelling to New York for two weeks, your daughter/son every month?
Thus we reviewed the use of the auxiliary do/does and some important English verbs (including modal verbs).

In the afternoon, we did role-play exercises: The ticket inspector
Scene: A compartment on a train
Characters: A passenger on a train
A ticket inspector
A steward and a waiter
Some words in the dialogues: continue + -ing-verb; sell, have got, expensive, buy, mean, famous, show, put, pocket, write, read, begin, tell, leave, pardon, move, station, passenger etc.
Grammar: present simple / present continuous - dynamic (action) versus stative verbs; be going to…; have got/haven’t got; plural forms; preposition by/on/at

Regards,

Roberto

Hello Roberto,

Thank you very much for your detailed update. In your future training sessions please incorporate the following items:

• overview of global trade
  • import/export/customs vocabulary and phrases
  • transportation documents
  • most commonly used INCOTERMS
  • overview of the global forwarding industry (who are the market leaders in logistics, etc.)

Also, our website has the largest collection of free interactive English tests worldwide. If you use and incorporate our own materials instead of external resources you will have the advantage of being able to influence what kind of materials we are creating the future. Or even better, if you think there is something we haven’t covered on our site yet, then you actually might create such an exercise yourself using our interactive test creating tool.

Please let me know what you think.
Best regards,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, talks: Radio commercial for insurance products[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Torsten,

thanks for your additional hints. These two groups have got a detailed vocabulary list regarding international trade and customs/import and export. We use this list as a reference in class when we read business texts. In addition, I’ve asked the Customs D-group to construct useful sentences based on this list. They’ll continue progressively collecting more business sentences with the help of this list. Thus, they’ll learn how to use them.

At all events, as soon as we may move to the computer room, we’ll visit our website again.

Regards,

Roberto

Hi dear English language trainers,

here I am again to give you an update on the last two sessions in Delitzsch:

Wednesday June 9th,

we started with an interesting text about “International trade”.
tasks in class:

a) read through the text
b) look up the new words
c) make up a list of business vocabulary
d) read the text aloud
e) translate it into German word for word
f) translate it into correct German
g) compare both translations

Here is the text we read, anylised, discussed and translated:

"If you walk into a supermarket and are able to buy South American bananas, Brazilian coffee and a bottle of South African wine, you are experiencing the effects of international trade.

International trade allows us to expand our markets for both goods and services that otherwise may not have been available to us. It is the reason why you can pick between a Japanese, German and American car. As a result of international trade, the market contains greater competition and therefore more competitive prices, which bring a cheaper product home to the consumer.

What Is International Trade?
International trade is the exchange of goods and services between countries. This type of trade gives rise to a world economy, in which prices, or supply and demand, affect and are affected by global events. Political change in Asia, for example, could result in an increase in the cost of labor, thereby increasing the manufacturing costs for an American sneaker company based in Malaysia, which would then result in an increase in the price that you have to pay to buy the tennis shoes at your local mall. A decrease in the cost of labor, on the other hand, would result in you having to pay less for your new shoes.

Trading globally gives consumers and countries the opportunity to be exposed to goods and services not available in their own countries. Almost every kind of product can be found on the international market: food, clothes, spare parts, oil, jewelry, wine, stocks, currencies and water. Services are also traded: tourism, banking, consulting and transportation. A product that is sold to the global market is an export, and a product that is bought from the global market is an import. Imports and exports are accounted for in a country’s current account in the balance of payments."

• review of old business and general vocabulary and introduction of the new vocab: trade, available, experience, allow, goods, otherwise, reason, pick, contain, competition, therefore, competitive, cheap, expensive, consumer, exchange, give rise to, result in, supply, demand, offer,increase, decrease, manufacture, cost of labour, pay, opportunity, import, export, market, payment, balance of payment, account etc.
  • the conjunction if…and its use (conditional sentences);
  • to be able to = can; may (modal verbs)
  • the use of the preposition "of"after containers and units of measurements.-
  • spelling some new words. Pronunciation exercises.
  • comparison of a “word-for-word” translation with a free and correct translation. The importance of having very good and solid grammar and vocabulary skills (language competence or skills, language proficiency)

Afterwards, every participant took part in a test in order to prove their lexical competence. Lexical competence is the ability to recognize and use words in a language in the way that speakers of the language use them. Lexical competence includes understanding the different relationships among families of words and the common collocations of word. Most of them got positive results.

• in the afternoon we moved on to grammar and grammatical exercises: present simple and continuous (review). Since this class consists of participants with different language skills (from beginners to refreshers), the beginners should repeat this aspect. The importance of signal words (now, always, still, at the moment etc.). Dynamic versus stative verbs.

• the use of flipcharts with lexical units/family of words regarding general language vocab: construction of useful dialogues in class.

• question - and - answer session

• we made up a list of 40 important business words:

English German
1 accounts Rechnungswesen
2 acknowledgement Auftragsbestätigung
3 business letter Geschäftsbrief
4 cash discount Barzahlungsrabatt
5 chief executive officer Geschäftsführung
6 complaint Beschwerde, Reklamation
7 consignment/delivery Lieferung
8 cost, insurance, freight (CIF) Versicherung und Fracht bezahlt
9 delay Verzögerung
10 delivery note Lieferschein
11 delivery period/time Lieferzeit
12 department Abteilung
13 dispatch Versand
14 enquiry Anfrage
15 ex works (EXW) ab Werk
16 general administration Allgemeine Verwaltung
17 goods Ware(n)
18 introductory discount Einführungsrabatt
19 invoice Rechnung
20 logistics Logistik
21 offer/quotation Angebot
22 organization/statistics Organisation/Statistik
23 personal assistant Sekretariat
24 price-list Preisliste
25 production Produktion
26 purchasing Einkauf
27 quantity Menge
28 range Sortiment
29 reference Zeichen
30 reminder Mahnung
31 sales & marketing Absatz
32 supplier Lieferant
33 terms and conditions Allgemeine Geschäftsbedingungen
34 terms of delivery Lieferbedingungen
35 terms of payment Zahlungsbedingungen
36 trade price Handelspreis
37 trade terms Handelsbedingungen
38 VAT (value added tax) Mehrwertsteuer
39 volume discount Mengenrabatt
40 wholesaler Großhändler

I promised the class to bring them a similar text in a more simple version. At the end of the class, we played hangman.
Gudrun was in Canada: short report on her stay there.

Thursday June 12th,

we spent a very productive and dynamic day in spite of the high temperature.

• short introduction of the European Union, member states. Eurozone.

“The Eurozone (also called Euro area or Euroland) is the set of countries in the European Union which have adopted the Euro (€) currency. The European Central Bank is responsible for the managing the supply of money within the eurozone and political decisions are taken by the “euro group”, which is a meeting of the politicians from each euro country in charge of that country’s economy”.

• we read the same text regarding “International trade” (see above). Some questions in class:
  • Where do you go shopping in Delitzsch?
  • How much money do you spend on clothes/food/water/services etc… every month?
  • What is your favourite local shop?
  • Are you in favour of globalization and international trade?

Some tasks in class:

• Have a look at all the products on your table or at home. Where do these products come from?
  • Name some products/goods from each EU-country.
  • Services and the tertiary sector of economy. "The tertiary sector of the economy (also known as the service sector or the service industry) is one of the three economic sectors, the others being the secondary sector (approximately manufacturing) and the primary sector (extraction such as mining, agriculture and fishing). "
  • Name some currencies in Europe.

Grammar: Review of the present perfect simple/continuous
How long have you been -ing?
-Use of present continuous for future actions: What are you doing at the weekend?

Anne-Kathrin was in New York: short report on her stay there. After this report, I gave the class some hints for improving their oral understanding and pronunciation: english-test.net listening dialogues

We finished the session with a game: word chain (more than 50 words were listed on the whiteboard). Coming soon: Human Resources Basics

Regards,

Roberto

Hi dear English language trainers,

here I am again with a short report on the last session given in Delitzsch:

we started the day with business English, specifically, regarding the logistics sector.
I’ll post the sentences we read, pronounced, discussed and translated in class:

1. We require an open air storage space of approximately X m³,

The verb “to require” was explained and compared with the verb “to need”. I assigned the group a task consisting in collecting synonym words belonging to formal and informal English. english-test.net/forum/ftopic120.html

The word “storage” and the verb and noun “to store/a store”. The noun “a warehouse”.
2. The open space must be fenced in with mesh wire.
The noun and verb: fence = Zaun, fence in: einzäunen. (here. In other contexts: fence = fechten).
3. The open storage space must have a roof.
4. The open air storage area would have to be guarded by you after normal working hours.
“working hours” = Arbeitsstunden
the conditional “would” and the modal verb “must = have to”.
5. The goods to be stored are of an explosive type. Therefore, the open air storage space would have to be at least X meters away from buildings.
The goods = die Ware(n)
Therefore and that’s why.
at least. Irregular superlatives: next, last, best, worst, least.
6. The goods to be stored are packed in iron barrels and, therefore, can be stored outside. Nevertheless, they should not be exposed to direct sunlight for long periods.
iron and other metals: gold, silver.
outside and inside
nevertheless and however.English learners are often confused by “nevertheless” and “however,” and for good reason! You can always replace “nevertheless” with “however,” but you cannot always replace “however” with “nevertheless.” “Nevertheless” is a transition. Like all transitions, “nevertheless” links two clauses, showing a logical relationship between them. “Nevertheless” indicates concession = something that is unexpected or surprising. Consider this statement:
Jan lived in Canterbury for ten years.
So, given that Jane lived in Canterbury for a long time, what would be unexpected or surprising?
Jan has never been to Colombia.
Jan can’t speak any English.

The first statement is not a surprise. Canterbury and Colombia are not close together. These are simply contrasting ideas. However, the second statement is a surprise. We would expect Janto speak at least some English since he lived in England for so long. Thus, we can use “nevertheless” to connect the two ideas:
Jane lived in Tokyo for ten years; nevertheless, he can’t speak any English.
“However” can indicate both concession AND contrast, so you can use “however” anywhere you can use “nevertheless.”

1. During the summer season, our goods may be stored outside, while in winter storage indoors is required.
    Prep. during versus conjunction while/whereas
    Review of the four seasons.
    The past participle -ed: stored (passive voice with “be”).
    indoors and outdoors

2. We are looking for a storage space of X meters…
    Present progressive: -ing.
    Verb to look for
    Spelling: metre or meter (USA).

3. The floor must support a weight of…kg/square meter.
    The verb “to support” (here: carry) = tragen. To weigh (verb) and the weight (noun). Compare: high (adj.) and height (noun).

4. The storage space should be separated from other storing parties.

5. The storage area must be fireproof.
    fireproof, waterproof, shockproof, bulletproof, burstproof etc.
    -proof = -fest.

6. The storage area must correspond exactly to the regulations issued by the Fire Department.
    Adverbs in -ly: exactly, usually, regularly, quickly, slowly etc.
    regulations and rules.
    Fire Brigade and Fire Department. Fire and Rescue Service (UK).

7. The storage area must be dry.
    Dry and wet.
    In most of these sentences, modal verbs are used > usage of modal verbs (more exercises are coming soon).

8. The storage area should have connecting tracks.

9. For handling a ramp is not required.

10. For longer periods of time, the goods must be held in cold storage.
    long and short.
    Modal verb: must
    Passive voice: to be held, to be separated from, to be required, to be guarded, to be stored etc.

11. A heated storage room is required as the goods are sensitive to cold.
    cold and warm. Note: adjectives are introduced in antonym pairs.
    Words having the stem “heat”: heating, heater, heated

12. The height of the storage room must be at least X meters.
    Units of measurement. In addition the “famous” nouns in -th/t: length, width, height, depth etc.

13. Our goods are shipped on pallets. Therefore, it is necessary that the respective unloading equipment, such as forklift truck, is available.
    Passive voice: are shipped
    The spelling of the word “pallet” (German: Palette!!).
    The noun: forklift truck. Lift as a verb and noun (elevator).
    The adjective available, to be available. Availability.

14. Our goods are on pallets. Therefore, it would be advisable to install pallet racks, if you do not already have them.
    Advisable = ratsam, empfehlenswert. Verb: to advise. Noun: advice.

15. The following products would be stored…at a monthly turnover of…ts broken down to :

…ts in cartons
…ts in boxes
…ts in containers/barrels
…ts in drums
…ts in plastic bags

The noun: turnover
The verb: break down (aufgliedern, aufteilen…)

We also read some English basic sentences in order to brush up basic vocabulary and grammar:

Fish can swim. Birds can fly. The fish in the water and the birds in the sky.
When I sleep, I close my eyes. I open them again when I rise.
My sister is young. Grandmother is old. She has a ring. It’s made of gold.
Your dress is white. My shirt is blue. Your dress is old. My shirt is new.
My friend is kind. My friend is nice. She always shares. Her curry and rice.
An elephant is big. A monkey is small. A snake is thin. A giraffe is tall.
We learn to read. We learn to write at school every day. And we sleep at night.
Throw the ball up. Throw it high. Can you catch it, fall from the sky?
Run to the shop to buy some bread. Don’t fall down on your head.
Good morning children, how are you today? Good morning, teacher, the children say.
You wash your face, you wash your feet. And wash your hands, before you eat.
Can you drive a bus? Can you drive a car? If you ride a bicycle, you can’t go very far.
The sun in the day, the stars at night, see the moon. What a lovely sight!
I live in a village. You live in a town. The hills go up and the hills go down.
His hair is short. Her hair is long. She wears s dress. He wears a sarong.

Gudrun showed us some pictures of her last stay in Canada. Lovely pictures! She also presented a short report on her experience in Canada.

Question-and-answer questions: spontaneous dialogues (in groups of two) were made in class. Question-and-answer sessions are great opportunities to show off your sense of humor and get audience participation during a public speaking engagement. We can have some fun with them. ‘What time is it?’ or ‘Can I be excused?’ or ‘Aren’t you getting tired up there?’ etc.

Regards,

Roberto

Hi dear English trainers, hi dear Torsten, dear Alan,

could you please have a critical look at this CV we read from a book (English for the Office, Rohwold)? After reading the CV carefully, some of us began to criticise some parts of it.

Joan Peters
61 Big Hill
Battle, East Sussex TN33 0AG
Tel: 01424/773825

Personal Profile
a highly trained and experienced personal secretary with excellent shorthand and word-processing skills who has developed, as secretary to the managing director of a large translation company, first-rate organisational skills and initiative. A loyal, supportive professional used to prioritising a demanding workload under pressure.

Key Skills
Secretarial skills

. Pitman Private Secretary Diploma
. Audio typing
. Commercial correspondence

Computer skills

. Microsoft Word
. Excel
. PowerPoint

Other skills
. Financial software
. Graphic software

Experience

. Ten years’ secretarial experience in a wide range of environments
. Three years’ experience as Confidential Secretary to Managing Director
. An understanding of business and the secretary’s role
. A clear commitment to efficiency
. Knowledge of good office practice and procedures (someone doubted the relevance of these sentences)

Career Summary
Tradu Translation Ltd.
1992 to Present

Confidential Secretary
Provided full secretarial support:
. Typed letters, memoranda and reports with due regard to confidentiality
. Compiled monthly reports and statistics
. Organised meetings, took and typed minutes
. Coordinated diary and appointments for MD

Personal Secretary
Provided secretarial support to head of section:
. Arranged internal and external meetings
. Took minutes at meeting and typed them up along with summaries and reports for other departments

Timberland Insurance
1988 to 1992
Department Secretary
Provided secretarial support for New Business Team

Education and Training
Member of the Institute of Qualified Private Secretaries
1991-1992 City Adult Education College (Part-time/evening course)
. Pitman Private Secretary Diploma

1983-1985 Westmordale College of Education
. RSA III Typewriting (Distinction)
. RSA III Shorthand and Typewriting Certificate
. RSA III Audio-typing
. RSA II English language

1977-1982 Clevedon School
“O” levels:
Five including Maths and English

Personal Details
Date of Birth: 9 October 1966
Address: 106 High Street, Battle TN33 0AG (two different addresses??)
References: Available on request

thanks in advance and regards,

Roberto

Hi Roberto, thank you very much for doing such an excellent job! Best regards, Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, question-response: What was your former occupation?[YSaerTTEW443543]