Perceptions of the -------- role of intellectual

Perceptions of the -------- role of intellectual practices within modern life underlie the familiar stereotypes of the educated as eggheads, ideologues, or worse. These negative characterization may be rooted in a -------- of the aims of academia, but they are unlikely to be -------- unless teachers take efforts to address them directly
Blank(i)
Incongruous
Refractory
Salubrious
Blank(ii)
Dissemination
Confounding
Corroboration
Blank(iii)
Espoused
Dispelled
Promulgated

Answers are incongruous, confounding, & dispelled.
Could someone please explain me the solution?

This one is pretty tough. I read the comments where you posted it in another forum and I agree that this may not be the most clear or meaningful sentence. I would start with “familiar stereotypes of the educated as eggheads, ideologues, or worse” So we know the author has a positive view of academia. So for _____ of the aims of academia, I would think he is talking about someone who does not understand the <noble, good> aims of academia. So the answer is “confounding”. Then these people are unlikely to learn the truth or to change their erroneous views, unless teachers help them. So they are unlikely to be dispelled.

I was hoping by filling in the other two blanks, the first would make more sense, but it is still a little vague. He is saying people don’t perceive the role correctly and perceive the practices negatively, so salubrious does not work. Refractory just doesn’t make sense. So I would go with incongruous since it has a sense of the perception not aligning with the reality.