People are never satisfied with what they have; they always want something more o

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? People are never satisfied with what they have; they always want something more or something different. Use specific reasons to support your answer.

Being satisfied is the beginning of “the end”. If I had stopped my studies after completing my school, I wouldn’t be working in Multinational Company with a high salary. Had he been satisfied after becoming a senator, Mr. Obama, the President of United States of America, wouldn’t be ruling the country today.
My urge to get more command over English, has been driving me to write more essays. It is natural for human beings not to settle for what they have and to crave for something more or something different.

Although this attitude may have troubled humans occasionally, most of the times it brought laurels and had a positive impact on our lives. For example, story of the ‘Alexander the Great’ clearly showcases how this attitude was responsible for his own down slide. His desire to conquer more areas which were not in his jurisdiction provoked to him wage a war against other kingdoms. He won many wars in the beginning and expanded his empire from Europe to South Asia. Slowly, he became a slave to his own passion. He wanted to rule the entire world. He was assassinated by one of his rivals during those wars. Eventually, in a quest to conquer the whole world, he lost his life. Had he not been craved for ruling the entire world, he would have survived for few more years.

On the other hand, few centuries ago, horses and chariots were the only mode of transportation for us. People can travel not more than few miles per day on a horse. Nowadays,we are equipped with different modes of transportation like flights, ships, cars, railways etc available for us … Today, covering thousands of miles per day is just a flight ticket away from us. If humans were satisfied with those horses, can we imagine what our plight would be today? Doesn’t it take more than a lifetime to reach USA from India on a horse? Without the desire to ‘achieve more’, it would have been impossible for us to reach this level.

We have landed on moon. Sooner or later we will land on Mars. We have already explored some other planets. Even then, our scientists’ say that whatever we have explored till now is minuscule when compared to what we haven’t. There won’t be an end to these explorations and research.

Our intelligence, in other words ability to think, has always provoked us to achieve more. While we feel happy and ecstatic about our achievements, we don’t stop there. We will plan to achieve more, to go to the next level. This characteristic is instrumental in our development.

TOEFL listening lectures: A university lecture by a professor of History

Another great essay, just a few comments. Some of your sentences are fine, but I made some suggestions that might make them sound even better.

crave means to have a desire to achieve something.

Are the following sentences correct?

1. people crave to succeed in their lives
  2. His crave for money made him spendthrift.

Should we never use “crave for”. Crave means having a strong desire for something. I can’t recollect where exactly , but I have seen this usage somewhere in a newspaper article.

Can you please clarify.

Nowadays,we are equipped with different modes of transportation like flights, ships, cars, railways etc available for us … :slight_smile: this statement is incorrect. Either I should have removed " available for us" or broken down the sentence into two as suggested by you.

“Flying horse”, has a prominent place in hindu mythology.It was a means of transportaion for one of the hindu gods. It was called as Garuthmantha( Sanskrit name ). However, I never heard of a horse which can swim across oceans :)))

1. People crave success in their lives (not ‘crave for’. You can use ‘craved for’ - but not in this sentence.)
  2. His craving for money made him a spendthrift.

crave means to have a desire to achieve something.

Are the following sentences correct?

1. people crave to succeed in their lives
  2. His crave for money made him spendthrift.

Should we never use “crave for”. Crave means having a strong desire for something. I can’t recollect where exactly , but I have seen this usage somewhere in a newspaper article.

[b]#1 is correct, #2 is incorrect
for #2, you would use the noun form: craving.
Also, in #2 spendthrift is a noun that means someone who spends money recklessly. Miserly (like Ebeneezer Scrooge) is maybe what you mean.
His craving for money make him miserly. - correct

There is a hamburger restaurant in the US called Krystal. Their slogan is “Krystal: It’s What You Crave”

You use crave like you use want:
I want for a hamburger. - incorrect
I crave for a hamburger. - incorrect

I want a hamburger. - correct
I crave a hamburger. - correct

There is a synonym of crave which is “yearn”. For some reason, you always use “for” after “yearn”

I yearn for a hamburger. - correct
I yearn a hamburger. - incorrect

[/b]
Can you please clarify.

Nowadays,we are equipped with different modes of transportation like flights, ships, cars, railways etc available for us … :slight_smile: this statement is incorrect. Either I should have removed " available for us" or broken down the sentence into two as suggested by you.

Nowadays, we are equipped with many different modes of transportation like airplanes, ships, cars, railways, etc . {Yes, this is also correct}

“Flying horse”, has a prominent place in hindu mythology.It was a means of transportaion for one of the hindu gods. It was called as Garuthmantha( Sanskrit name ). However, I never heard of a horse which can swim across oceans :)))

Interesting - the ancient Greek version of a flying horse is called Pegasus.

Thank you.

Now I am [color=red]craving for your suggestions on my new essays…I am [color=red]yearning for your support in making me understand my mistakes in the following essays … :slight_smile:

My new essays:
[color=green]1) High schools should allow students to study the courses they want to study. Agree? Disagree?
2) Playing games teaches us about life
3)One important change that I would like to make in the school that I have attended

I am craving your suggestions… (no ‘for’. I don’t agree with Luschen)

Hey, I used it correctly in my post! I don’t blame Vsravan for never taking my advice can’t help it if Vsravan never takes my advice! :wink:

Ah, sorry… I got the quotes and the new parts confused.

Ah, now I understood. Sometimes it is difficult to change a bad habit… be it smoking or misusing a word like crave:))

I am craving to watch the movie.
I crave to learn how to use crave
Luschen craved to made me understand how to use the crave all through his posts
My craving for smoking always landed me in a tight spot… I think " my craving " is a subject …

I hope I am correct atleast now. please dont hesitate to scold me if I am wrong again …:))