partner-up

‘It’s no good wanting to be partners with someone who doesn’t want to partner-up.’
Is this sentence OK?
I don’t find ‘partner-up’ in the dictionary?
Could you please rephrase the sentence?
Thanks.

It’s usually ‘partner with’.

It’s no good (use) offering to be a partner with someone who doesn’t want to partner with you (others).’

The original sentence is fine.

partner-up = join together with (you/someone) to make a team of two.

See, ‘up’ is a word you can use in any manner you like. I don’t think there is a hard and fast rule about it. Usually it indicates ‘completion’ unless it functions as a particle. So we can justify it. But even then, shouldn’t we say ’ … partner up with you’?

Not necessarily. Here, for example, it is probably more general than ‘with you’, otherwise, the use would be:
It’s no use you wanting to be partners…

‘Partner up/partner-up’ is considered to be a specific phrase:
macmillandictionary.com/dict … partner-up

Beeesneees,

1. Can I partner-up with you to start a business?
  2. We partnered-up the business but we lost the business.
    Are these sentences OK?
  1. OK
  2. incorrect use. I would suggest “We went into partnership, but lost the business.”

Hi;
Bees, I think that usage is not incorrect - I am talking of it being used in both the past tense or whatever. Double check the link you furnished and you will see something like;

partnered up (past tense)

partnering up (progressive) and so on

If Alifathimas’ sentence is rather awkward to you then that would be a different thing. But the inflections are correct.

Son

The sentence beginning, “We partnered up the business…” is incorrect.
You might say “We partnered up to go into business…” but your suggestion that we can use “We partnered up the business…” does not make sense.

It’s not “awkward to me”. It’s wrong.

‘It’s no good wanting to be partners with someone who doesn’t want to partner-up.’
Is this sentence OK?

[color=blue]Of course it is not correct. “I don’t find ‘partner-up’ in the dictionary?” [color=blue]That’s because there is no such word!

Hi Canada.

Welcome back. It’s good to have another English speaking poster on board.

Alan

If ‘partner up’ is acceptable, why not ‘We partnered up in the business …’?

Welcome, Canadian! This is an example from the quoted online Macmillan dictionary:

Partner up with: Could you all please partner up with another student before we begin the game?

I see you have returned with the same charm and the same lack of feeling for a language which is evolving. You are wrong.

There is such a phrase, though.

“I see you have returned with the same charm and the same lack of feeling for a language which is evolving.”
[color=blue]Your nonsense is not to be mistaken for ‘evolution’ of the language.
Only ‘partner up’, the phrasal verb, is correct in the initial post. The hyphenated ‘partner-up’ would be correct as a compound adjective, as in ‘The project is organized on a partner-up basis.’

I know that this is not a nice thing to say, but the simple fact is that your posts here are a striking example of the triumph of quantity over quality!

“I see you have returned with the same charm and the same lack of feeling for a language which is evolving.”
[color=blue]Your nonsense is not to be mistaken for ‘evolution’ of the language.
Only ‘partner up’, the phrasal verb, is correct in the initial post. The hyphenated ‘partner-up’ would be correct as a compound adjective, as in ‘The project is organized on a partner-up basis.’

I know that this is not a nice thing to say, but the simple fact is that your posts here are a striking example of the triumph of quantity over quality!

I’d prefer that to pedantry over flexibility.

Use of punctuation has changed. You may not approve of it, but that’s the way it is.

[color=blue]That’s total nonsense, and even you (should) know that!