out vs outside; in vs inside

hello everybody,
I need your help with following words.
Please correct me:
Do you want to go out/outside and play with your friends? (meaning to go out from the house and play in the street).
Let’s go back in/inside the house.
Is there a difference in using in/inside, out/ouside?
Can you please give me few examples?
Thank you
Martin

1 Like

Hello Martin,

There is no big difference. Inside/outside is simply a little more precise.

There is a useful search feature on the top of each page on the forum. By entering your keywords and clicking ‘search forum’ I found the following previous discussions about this. If you need an answer quickly then this might be useful for you to know about:

1 Like

hi bro
go out means have entartainment or have a activity like gf or bf but outside emphasizes out of house

1 Like

That is one meaning, but it isn’t the only one, Turkport.
It’s permissible to use ‘go out’ to simply mean go outside to do something.

1 Like

I agree with Turport. The original “Do you want to go out/outside and play with your friends?” shows a big difference between “go out” and “go outside” in what Turport pointed out, in addition to which I’d also feel “go outside and play with your friends” may well suggest to play in the garden or somewhere within sight of the house while “go out” may well suggest a high possibility of going far away from the house, even using means of transportation.

1 Like

I’d be less inclined to interpret “go out” as entertainment in this case, because it is generally used for the teens and up in age. “Play,” by contrast, is used for kids.

1 Like

Not where I live, it doesn’t.

1 Like

In Oxford? lol Anyway, is the language concerned or where you live concerned?

1 Like

With all due respect, I don’t think in the USA things are much different as far as “go out” is concerned. Anyway, American English is Mordant’s bailiwick, and he will have the last say in it. But to my mind, they too use “to go out” to mean “to go outside”.

1 Like

I don’t live in Oxford and I don’t understand your question about whether the language is ‘concerned’.

1 Like

Oh my goodness, I didn’t say anything about USA, did I?! May I ask why USA and Mordant’s “bailiwickis” should be involved here and how your thinking logic or law system is established in Russia? I have only found too often that you ladies “taught” or misled people with authorities as if you were from Oxford while bringing along too many errors and mistakes from your circle.

1 Like

Is that second remark directed at me, Haihao?
If you are attempting humour, then it is sadly misplaced.
If you aren’t attempting humour then I hope you are able to back up your comments.

1 Like

“Go out” can indeed simply mean “go outside” in the USA. I don’t think many would object to “Go out and get some sunshine. It will cheer you up.” As I said, that is how I interpret it in the sentence in this thread. “Go out” for recreation usually means to date or go to specific locations – bars, clubs, movies, restaurants, etc. – and is not really appropriate for a 7-year-old. People who are old enough to go out in that sense often don’t “play with their friends” when they do it. I tend to guess that “go out” in this sense was inspired by the literal “go out.” If I had read “go out with your friends” by itself, I would have definitely interpreted it as dating and recreation. But the separate verbs, indicating two activities, and the age context lead me elsewhere.

1 Like

I figured that by disagreeing with Beeesneees you meant to say that in the USA they use “go out” differently. Sorry for second guessing you.
Anyway, let’s just forget it and give it a rest.

1 Like

Oh yes! let’s take a rest, or gimme a break. :slight_smile: Anyway, since the original poster asked for a difference, if any, between the two, I intended to say that:

1. Go out = go out to have fun, usually beyond sight of the house, e.g., go on a date.
  2. Go outside = go outside the house, usually within sight of the house, e.g., in the garden.

I have no interest nor intention to direct nothing at nobody. :slight_smile: I only hope interest to be poured into the language alone for what the forum is for.

1 Like

This is very interesting and complete correct. If I asked, “Do you want to go outside and play with your friends,” I would mean in close proximity to the house. Maybe not restricted to the front or back yard, but not very far. If, on the other hand, I asked, “Do you want to go out and play with your friends,” then that could include a park some distance away, or into the wood/forest, or down to the creek, or the like.

That’s a nuance I had not thought about.

2 Likes