Our first stop-over is Chicago vs. Our first stop-over is 'at' Chicago

“Do we stop over in New York? No, our first stop-over is Chicago.”

Is it OK to say “No, our first stop-over is at Chicago”?

Many thanks in advance. Greetings.

2 Likes

This would be the more common phrase.

2 Likes

Though it is common otherwise, I tend to agree with you and say: No, our first stop-over is at Chicago.
We use ‘at’ here because we mean the specific place - Chicago airport..

3 Likes

You can omit the preposition as originally written.
OR
in Chicago (non-specific place within Chicago)
at O’Hara (specific airport)
at the airport in Chicago

Personally I would say “in Chicago”.

Generally, “in” is used for geographic land locations, but there are exceptions.

I live in Chicago.
I was born in Europe.
Tokyo is in Japan.

For water locations:
On the ocean. On the lake. On the river. (if you are on a boat on the water)
At the ocean. At the lake. At the river. (if you are on shore next to the water)
Swim in the ocean. Swim in the lake. Swim in the lake. (if you are actually in the water)

3 Likes

Don’t you have what may be called the Chicago airport?

2 Likes

O’Hare is the main airport in Chicago. I spelled it wrong in my last post. The final ‘E’ is pronounced as an ‘A’. Oh-hair-ah

It’s one of the busiest airports in the world. With the definite article “the Chicago airport”, it would be assumed to mean O’Hare.

3 Likes

Hmmm. I’ve never heard O’Hare pronounced like the name O’Hara, but then I’ve never been there.
Is that a regional thing? I checked a few YouTube videos from Chicago area news stations and they all seemed to pronounce it like O-hair.

1 Like

I’ll ask around to about the pronunciation of O’Hare. It’s possible it’s a regional thing. It’s also possible I’ve been mispronouncing it my whole life. It wouldn’t be the first time.

2 Likes