otoplasty.

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #833 [color=blue]“Ancient Plastic Surgery”, question 6

Even more surprising was the discovery that the world’s first medical school was established in 1500 BC in Pakistan. Previously, the Hindu author Sushruta wrote about surgical methods, including nose surgery and .

(a) officious
(b) octoplasty
(c) oncogene
(d) outmoded

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #833 [color=blue]“Ancient Plastic Surgery”, answer 6

Even more surprising was the discovery that the world’s first medical school was established in 1500 BC in Pakistan. Previously, the Hindu author Sushruta wrote about surgical methods, including nose surgery and octoplasty.

Correct answer: (b) octoplasty

Your answer was: [color=green]correct
[size=200]_________________________[/size]

Hello,

Standard webpages do not contain “octoplasty”. I think the medical term meant by the tester is either “otoplasty” or “osteoplasty”. Could you please look into this matter?

Thank you.

Best wishes,
Bhikkhu1991a.

I’m going to guess that ‘otoplasty’ was intended. Thanks, Bhikkhu. I have fixed it.

PS: Tell me, Bhikkhu, what is your opinion of the distractors (the false answers) in these advanced tests? Do you find them challenging, or is the correct answer easy to determine?

Hello Mister Micawber,

Presently, Englishtest.net is an ideal website for me to practise and build up my English vocabularies, grammar, comprehension and listening. The website covers a huge variety of English usage in the Elementary, Intermediate and Advanced levels. Needless to say, the Advanced level is not a piece a cake and is challenging for me. Not only are the correct answers challenging, but the distracters provided are also challenging.

As far as I am concerned, it is a good step to learn the varieties of English usage provided in the tests. Because the standard dictionary contains between 100,000 and 200,000 words, phrases and meanings, it is impractical for me to memorize all of them. Furthermore, I do not know the essential words that are relevant to modern usage of all subjects all over the world. Therefore, the Advanced level tests, which cover multiple subjects, are very good guides to English usage at present for me.

Finally, I hope that my English is getting better and better in future. Thank you for your guidance and support.

Best wishes,
Bhikkhu1991a.

So, you had to look up all 4 words–

(a) officious
(b) otoplasty
© oncogene
(d) outmoded

– in order to decide which one fit this blank: 'nose surgery and … '?