other or the other

1. we have become really good friends, but ___ students have beginning to gosiping.
    A. other B. the other C. another D. others

I choose B, but the suggested answer is A, I don’t know why.

1. ____ I haven’t been able to be outdoors for so long I have grown so crazy about everything to do with nature.

A. Because B. For C. As D. Since

the answer is A, I don’t konw why the others are not right.

Would someone give me some help? thanks.

Do you see that it is 5 am and that others might be sleeping? Patience is a virtue, vaok.

It is hard to answer; there are several other mistakes in your sentences. Is that the quality of the originals? As far as I can see, there are 2 answers to #1 and no reasonable answer for #2.

1. we have become really good friends, but ___ students have beginning to gosiping.
    A. other B. the other C. another D. others

We have become really good friends but “the other students” have begun gossiping (specific students)
We have become really good friends but “other students” have begun gossiping (non specific students)

Sorry, I forgot the different time area.

I like your explanation. thank you!

The 2nd one is from Anne’s diary.

I’m not sure that “have begun gossiping” is correct.

I have a strong hunch that it should be have begun to gossip (because they apparently did not gossip before)

Maybe native speakers can clarify the matter for me, please

Thanks in advance.

I agree with vaok.
When you use “the” before “students” you know this students anymore.Because they became specific students anymore

Hi LS,

Fine point indeed! I can run this through my head again and again and I can’t pinpoint a difference. I would plump for ‘have begun gossiping’ if pushed.

Alan

Hi, Alan

Many thanks for your input !

what about the 2nd question, friends?

Can’t we use both verb+ing or infinitive after the verb begin
just like the verb start? This is what most grammar books bring.
[color=red]Ex: They have begun gossiping. / They have begun to gossip.

Can a native speaker help us out here, please?

I don’t see why there would be no answer for #2.
As a matter of fact, I would say both Because and Since would fit, although there should be a comma, I’d say.
Can you clear that out, please?

Can’t we use both verb+ing or infinitive after the verb begin
just like the verb start? This is what most grammar books bring.
Ex: They have begun gossiping. / They have begun to gossip.

Naturally you can… as I have said many times before “language is in the eye of the beholder”
Are we referring to a “fact” or are we referring to a “moving action” In English like any other language, sometimes you must see the “picture in your head” Do you see groups of students gossiping, or are you simply referring to in a factual way to an action brought about by another?

Native speakers such as myself and Alan speak English with “full contact feeling” as do many native speakers of any language. We feel the language and not think about the words, grammar, structure …etc It is natural for native speakers to normally “live” the language and therefore tend towards speaking, seeing pictures and feelings. Naturally native speakers also refer to things factually when needed.

e.g.

I tell you now, it is a fact. The students have begun to gossip.
I dunno, maybe its because the students have begun gossiping about me that i feel so unsure! Naturally I can also say for this, have begun to gossip!

p.s. dunno slang don’t know!

The sentence is poorly composed, but if one has not been outdoors, then the logic for one’s fascination with nature is difficult to understand logically-- so none of the answers makes sense. I would have thought the logical answer would be ‘Although’.

In this case we would have to take out that SO before crazy, wouldn’t we?

I agree the example is poor. That’s the problem with loose sentences,
they are not contextualized, what may impair communication.

This question is from Anne’s diary.Anne Frank’s (1929-1945) world famous diary records two years of her life from 1942 to 1944, when her family were hiding in Amsterdam from German Nazis. The diary begins just before the family retreated into their “secret annexe.” Anne Frank recorded mostly her hopes, frustrations (困惑), clashes with her parents, and observation of her companions. Its first version, which appeared in 1947, was edited by Anne’s father, who removed certain family references and some of her highly intimate confessions (告白).

The original sentence is “I wonder if it’s because I haven’t been able to be outdoors for so long that I have grown so crazy about everything to do with nature.”

Any native speakers?

Removing the ‘I wonder if’ seriously affects the naturalness of the remainder.

Totally agreed, Mister Micawber.