Optional test (Is this the first year that you ... to this country?)

1/ We are not used to having visitors … our house after 9 p.m
a. to
b. at
c. in
d. into

2/ Is this the first year that you … to this country?
a. come
b. have come
=> I know that in British English, the correct choice is B, but I wonder if we can use A in American English or spoken English.

Thanks a lot
Nessie :slight_smile:

1-- What do you htink?
2-- A sounds odd to my AmE ear.

So we never use “Is this the first year that you come to this country?” in any situation?

As for question 1, I choose “in” but my teacher said it should be “at”, so I want to see about your idea of which is right
Thanks a lot
Nessie

1-- at is better and native.
2-- No.

I agree with MM.

But I still think “in” is more ok.I’ve searched on Google and seen that “in” is used quite a lot.

Then don’t bother asking us in future.

Oh come on Mister Micawber (I’d like to call you “Charles”, but I dare not), I know that was not very polite of me to disagree with you, but I just want to discuss. It was only a slip of the tongue, ok? I am very sorry if I ever cause any vexation. I don’t want to argue or to not obey you (whom I consider my teachers) but you know, I have checked on Google, and I’ve found that both cases can be used. Moreover, it seems that the use of “having visitors in our house” is used more than “having visitors at our house”. That’s why I want to tell you so that we can discuss.
Hope you don’t mind my being so fussy
A zillion thanks.
Nessie

Hi Nessie

Using the word ‘in’ would put extra emphasis on the idea that the visitors were inside the house.

If I say something such as “Mary is at John’s house”, it is already understood that Mary is probably inside. There is no need to place any extra emphasis on this. However, using ‘at’ also includes the possibility that Mary might be spending part of her time in John’s back yard, and the rest of her time in the house. “At” refers to Mary’s general location.

I might say something like this:

I prefer to have canine visitors outside my house rather than in it.

Thanks a lot, Amy, I understand it now :slight_smile: