Optimism

Hello,

Do you want to be cheered up? Do you always like to look on the bright side of life? Let me tell you about expressions that are connected with being cheerful and optimistic.

english-test.net/stories/73/index.html

Alan

1 Like

Hello mr.Alan
Would you please tell me what do you mean by “Maybe it’s that Anglo-Saxon reserve at work again”?

What does Anglo-Saxon mean?

1 Like

Hi,

‘Anglo-Saxon’ is used to describe ‘Old English’ that would have been used by people before the Normans (Norman French) invaded England in the 11th century. It also describes the people.

Alan

1 Like

Dear Alan,
I really appreciate you’ve sent us an interesting essay about optimism.
It’s a very useful and practical information for us.
Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

Cesar Lopez Petrovich.

1 Like

dear ALAN,
thanks alot for your essay about ‘optimism’.
Don’t you know expressions about ‘pessimism’? because I always look on the “dark” side.
By the way, could you explain ’ hence loathed Melancholy’?
BEST REGARDS
Rosette.

1 Like

Hi,

This means: Go away melancholy because I hate you (loathe you).

Alan

1 Like

Hi,
Alan, I would like to ask two questions about the article:
#1. What does “Two whole pounds” mean?
#2. Is “Hence Loathed Melancholy” funny? “Hence Loathed Melancholy!” Well, you never know, someone might laugh.

I look forward to hearing your answers. Thank you in advance.

-Salivan

1 Like

Hi Salivan,

There is a touch of sarcasm in both examples. I am talking about someone who thinks his life is improving because he has won two pounds (sterling) and that isn’t really going to change his life. That’s why I emphasise that it was two ‘whole’ pounds - trying to make out it was more than just two pounds. The other quotation:

sounds very rhetorical and in that sense in ordinary conversation would sound strange and might make someone laugh if you said it.

Alan

1 Like

Hi Alan,

As always , I have read your last essay on Optimism with the utmost attention. Many new expressions that I write them down and try to apply in my everyday conversations with my students.
I would like though to ask you about 2 of them which you use in your essay. These are “mind you” and “come to think of it”…they are not related to the topic, but since you used them, could you please explain a little bit their use and meaning?

Thanks for your essay again.

Best regards!

Georgina

1 Like

Hi Georgina,

Literally ‘Mind you’ means the same as ‘it’s true to say’ ‘remember this’ or similar expressions. ‘Come to think of it’ suggests ‘when you come to think about it’. They are both the sorts of expressions you use in conversation. I used to write and broadcast scripts for BBC English language programmes and the style I used and still use today is essentially conversational. If you want to keep the interest of your audience, you have to use the sort of language you would use if you were talking to people face to face.

I hope that gives you some idea of what I mean.

Alan

1 Like

Thanks, very much. I have it clear now…I can start using these expressions then.

I will be looking forward to receiving your next essay.
Thanks again

Georgina

1 Like

Hi, sir Alan,

When I woke up this morning I felt like I wasn’t in the mood. Obviously, I had a bad mood. The weather was bad too and the birds were not singing in the garden. But everything changed when I read your essay. I can’t say that I’m feeling on top of the world. But now things are looking up. Thank you for writting such interesting and useful stories.
While I was reading expressions about politicians I recalled the phrase: Optimism is a lack of information. I guess, these people use human ignorance when they make their promises to us.

Best wishes.

1 Like

now i understand everything i’m sad

1 Like

I have few questions for i need you to answer…
1- i am alrady answer to many questions, do i have to send to you all questions i answered before?
2- my email is salehgadalla@maktoob.com - every time i write my user name and my email- you say your email incorrect. please i want you to confirm user name, my email and my password please response

1 Like

Hi Alan Sir

Thank you for your essay “Optimism”. I like the tittle “optmism”.
As I am always feeling on the top of the world, your essay of
“Optimism” added my happiness to-day.

Thank Sir

S.Shanthi

Dear Teachers
Thank you so much for everything indeed!
Kindest regards
Ngoc

1 Like

Dear Hoamuahe,

Stop stupidly spamming like that. This is an ENGLISH forum so don’t use any other languages here.

I think the admins should delete her posts and punish her strictly.

Hao

1 Like

Dear Hao,
It’s not my intention to write Vietnamese on this forum. I got sick a kind of psychic illness. I’m sorry for that. Forgive me for writing unmeaningful word. Please stop criticising me. After all, I’m really sorry. I want to say hello to my teacher Torsten, Allan and other teachers who pay contribution to this website and forum.

Dear my teachers,
I’m really sorry for writing Vietnamese on this forum. I promise this is the first and the last time i wrote these lines. But I want to assert that it’s not my desire to write. Please sympathise with me.
Thank you for reading.
tuyet(hoamuahe111989@yahoo.com)

Hi Haomuahe,
I read your letter since you had used other language for that you had asked excuse.
What I did you know I wrote some jokes in the forum without knowing the side
effect by way of punishment.i.e. I couln’t attend test further. Torsten Sir
gave me good punishment after that I decided that Iwill not do anything hereafter.
Why I am telling all these things to you so that you can aware of yourself.

Thanking you

S.Shanthi