Operational limits vs operating limits

We describe the operation of an electrical system. Should we use the word “operational limits” or “operating limits” to denote the most heavy configuration/situation that could be applied, i.e. the most load and/or the worst environment. We must select one of those two terms but not another one.

3 Likes

Hello @meolic and thank you for your question! This is a very tough one – I admit I don’t know the answer myself off the top of my head.

So from what I’ve found, both terms seem to be in use.

According to the Center for Chemical Process Safety of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers, operating limits are “the values or ranges of values within which the process parameters normally should be maintained when operating.”

On the other hand, operational limits are defined as limits that include target and action values, in which a “target level creates an area of tolerance before a critical limit is breached” and an action level is a “measurable point between a target level and critical limit where appropriate action taken to bring the process under control.” This is according to the UK learning and training company Percipio Training, under the category Food Management.

To me, both of these seem to denote a range of values that should be applied, while the most extreme values are usually called “critical limits.”

I can’t give you a full answer one way or another (although, personally speaking, “operating limits” sounds better to me). Maybe someone else from our forum can, like @Torsten or @tim_m. But I hope these definitions helped at least a bit!

2 Likes

I would suggest, that ‘operating limits’ refers to the limits/boundaries/extent/ range within which a machine can operate or work or function. In other words these are the extremes. ‘Operational limits’ is more practical or feasible and refers to what actually happens in practice. In other words you know in theory what the device is capable of but you work within ‘operational limits’ perhaps for safety and practical reasons.

3 Likes