One should never judge a person by external appearances.

Hello Kitosdad. Hope you are fine. Thanks for reviewing my essay in advance.

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? One should never judge a person by external appearances. Use specific reasons and details to support your answer.

I fully disagree with the claim that one should judge others by their external appearances. Being beautiful or handsome, having huge amounts of money, wearing expensive clothes are all temporary and deceptive. What remains at the end, is a good nature. My reasons and examples listed below will strengthen my point of view.

In the first place, people are not always the same. They are sometimes happy and sometimes sad. We might come across a person who is walking in the street and laughing. Is it fair to consider him a crazy person? What if he has just seen or remembered a funny event? In addition, we have all seen businessmen or presidents, so seriously talking about different issues. What about this case? Should we consider them serious people?

Secondly, we are all born with different levels of beauty. Everyone is beautiful in their own unique way. My parents always told me not to judge a book by its cover, then how can we judge people by their looks or their types of clothing. Nothing can be as unpleasant as having a beautiful friend who is always in her best outfits, but is always telling lies and gossiping about everyone and anyone.

Last but not least, some people have the habit of judging people by their wealth. They think that those people who earn huge amounts of money are the most successful and happiest people in the world. However,I think that success and happiness are not defined by accumulating a great amount of wealth. Having a grateful heart, being honest, generous, and trustworthy are considered to be success which can in return bring happiness.

To put all in a nutshell, it is human nature to judge people by their external appearances. We have all done this mistake in our lives, and many continue to do so in the future. However, good nature is permanent and more important than beauty and wealth.

TOEFL listening discussions: Which best describes the student’s current activity?

Thanks Kitosdad.
I MADE a stupid MISTAKE by writing " we have all done this mistake…"

Forth paragaraph:generous, and trustworthy … to be sucesses

Second paragraph: (as perpetually) serious people

Fifth paragraph: continue to do so…(it should be future tense–>will continue)

Spot on!

Please help me check this, Prof. Kitos.
Thanks in advance!
Vietnam.

People were born with their own appearances, and it is natural that some people are very beautiful or handsome, but some of other do not possess a decent looking. However, in my opinion, people should respect and esteem others through their internal virtues, despite their external appearances.

The first reason I hold this view is that the external appearance of someone cannot tell anything about his true value. Different people have different stature and physiognomy; some people are very good-looking; some of others are not attractive. Honestly, judging a person by looking at his appearance is ironical and unacceptable. How can you disregard an old professor just because he is too old or he is not well dressed? How can you consider a minor, always spattered with cold and dust, an unhappy person while they are leading a very happy life?

The second reason that people should not judge others through their outwards is that external appearance is temporary while internal virtue is permanent. People can learn how to change their appearance by wearing new and fashioned outfits in order to become a decent-looking one, but they cannot change their internal characteristics. Furthermore, external appearance sometimes plays as a deceptive thing that could lure others. Hence, judging a person by looking at his face or his clothing is not reliable. Instead, people who have a great heart, are benevolent or trustworthy should be regarded as the most successful and happy ones.

In conclusion, people should not judge others just by looking at their external appearances. Some people are not decent-looking, but deep inside them are very kindhearted people who live with their true hearts and souls, who do their best for others, and who lead a happy spirit life. These people should be regarded as the most successful and happy ones.

Hi Vietnam,

You essay could get missed by being tagged on to the end of someone else’s.

Start a new topic instead, and make the subject relevant to the topic title (I suggest "Essay: External appearance), then copy and paste the above message into the text field and post it in a topic of its own.

I made a silly mistake. Thanks sir…
Vietnam.