"one another" vs "each other"

Hi,
Please have a look at this:

Everybody should help…
a. each other
b. one another

What should we choose and why?
My choice: a
(I think “one another” is used when we refer to 3 or more people)

Regards
Nessie.

I agree. For more than two people.

Thanks Molly. I think you agree with my idea that “one another” refers to 3 or more people, but perhaps you don’t agree with me about the choice of “each other” here (because “everybody” surely refers to more than two people), right?

Now let’s give this a look:

• we should help each other (two people)
  • we should help one another (more than two people)

Is that right?

Hi,
I need a confirmation, please.

??? :o:O:O ???

Hi Nessie

Right, the word ‘everybody’ generally refers to more than two people.

I presume your original sentence comes from an exercise book, and I presume that the author expects you to use ‘one another’. That would be the “prescriptive” answer.

If a native speaker began a sentence with “Everybody should help…”, I’d say they’d be just as likely to end the sentence with ‘each other’ as with ‘one another’ (if not more likely).

I much prefer your sentences using ‘we’ (instead of ‘everybody’):

Prescriptively speaking, yes. In reality, this “rule” is frequently ignored, and many experts agree that this “rule” is far from absolute.

Everybody should help… hmm…

Usually it’s “Everybody should help each other” while it’s “Everyone should help one another.”

I’m not sure why this is the case.

Comments? Thoughts?

Cheers.

Now let’s give this a look:

• we should help each other (two people) - [color=blue]Could also be more two groups of people.
  • we should help one another (more than two people) - [color=blue]Could also be more than two groups of people.

Hi Nessie

Have a look at this:

each other vs one another