Objects of Preposition also called Prepositional objects

I just did a test on Objects of Preposition or Prepositional Objects. I was told I was a genius. I don’t believe that, however, if you want to find out if you’re one too, please click the following link: Object of a Preposition: Explanation and Examples (grammar-monster.com)

2 Likes

I got one wrong. Except I think it was right.

I won’t give any spoilers for now in case anyone else wants to take the test.

3 Likes

I think ‘objects of preposition’ is different from ‘prepositional objects’ in so far as the former is governed by a preposition while the latter is dominated by a preposition and functions as phrase.

2 Likes

One wrong? Well, Dan, that doesn’t make you any less a genius. :grinning: @NearlyNapping

2 Likes

I read Richard Nordquist who says the following: 'In English grammar, the object of a preposition is a noun, noun phrase, or pronoun that follows a preposition and completes its meaning. The object of a preposition is in the objective case

A word group made up of a preposition, its object, and any of the object’s modifiers is called a prepositional phrase.

In contemporary language studies, the object of a preposition is sometimes described as a prepositional complement.’
I just wanted to have the test and you’re absolutely right. Perhaps I should be a little more careful where titles are concerned, but I think what I meant is perfectly clear to you and other people on the forum. By the way did you have the test?

2 Likes

I was rated as genius, which, I’m afraid, is not true!

3 Likes

So was I, but :smile:since I’m a very humble person, I don’t dare say that’s true either.

3 Likes

The quiz didnt give sources for the jokes.

2 Likes

Hi Arinker, here it comes, a funny looking guy…
genius
who says: ‘You’re a genius!’ when you’ve given the correct answer to each question.
You might not find that funny at all, but I do.

2 Likes