NOUNS: Computer keyboard versus Computer’s keyboard

Hi,

Computer keyboard and computer’s keyboard have the same meaning?.

When should I use NOUN +NOUN, When should I use POSSESSIVE?

Alandro

Use the possessive mainly with people, countries or animals. For inanimate objects, you can use of + noun, except in certain fixed expressions. It is also possible to change the second noun into an (invariable) adjective: the computer keyboard, the house keys, the book cover.

I think there is hardly any difference. Both computer and computer’s are attributes to a noun keyboard.

Though construction noun+noun is more feasible here.

It is also possible to change the [color=green]second noun into an (invariable) adjective.

Give me examples for theses cases.Thanks.

Alandro

Please read my first post.

1/You wrote:

It is also possible to change the second noun into an (invariable) adjective: the computer keyboard, the house keys, the book cover.

That means the second nouns of “the computer keyboard”, “the house keys”, “the book cover” are: keyboard, keys, cover.

Thus, how to change these second nouns (keyboard, keys, cover) into invariable adjectives?

2/ “Computer’s keyboard” has the same meaning as “computer keyboard”?"Computer’s keyboard"and “Computer keyboard” are correct?

Alandro

Hi,

Have a good look at the answers others have already given you.

Alan

The computer keyboard, the house keys, the book cover.

In these examples, the second noun is ‘computer’, ‘house’ and ‘keys’: the keyboard of the computer, the keys of the house, the cover of the book.

PS: Just out of curiousity, Alandro, why do you spell your location ‘Italya’?

You wrote:

Use the possessive mainly with people, countries or animals.

In this case, if I don’t like to use possesive, can I use 's?
Is it correct in grammar if I use 's for people, countries, animals, parts of people and animals?

Alandro

PS: Can I write in Italian? I have ideas but I don’t know how to express them in English.

I’ll answer with another question, if you don’t mind. In your first post, what did you mean by ‘possessive’ in your sentence ‘When should I use POSSESSIVE?’

Thanks

I have understood.

Alandro

Hi, Alandro,

Just out of curiosity… could your comment a bit your above question (‘Can I write in Italian’) in the light of your own - the very first - post to the forum:

“the girl(‘)s’ books” have the same pronunciation?
[size=75]http://www.english-test.net/forum/ftopic12867.html[/size]

Tamara

Hi,

I often visit Italy. Which part of Italy do you live in?

Alan

Rome, Sir.

Welcome to your visit :smiley: but the price here is not cheap.

Alandro