noun/adverb clause

Hi. 1) What should we put in the blank?: The report on the nuclear power plant indicated that when the plant had gone on the line…on safe. a) had been b)it had been 2)What does “go on the line " mean? 3)Is " that when the…safe” a noun clause? 4) Is “when the plant…safe” an adverb clause?Thanks.

That is very strange indeed.
The expression that I know that fits the context is “go on line”, which means “start operating”.
The reason why they used “go on the line” escapes me.

I agree, it makes no sense. Even after fixing “on the line” neither of the choices fits. This would work:

“… when the plant had gone on line it had been safe”.

Dozy,
Here the use of two past perfect tense seems award to me. Could we use two past tense for better sense?

[quote=“Dozy” This would work:

“… when the plant had gone on line it had been safe”.[/quote]
Dozy, do you mean that this sentence is the correct form? Can’t we use"on" before" sale" here? One more thing, what about my other questions?!

The use of the past perfect tends to push the opening of the plant further back in time before the report.

Hi. 1) What should we put in the blank?: The report on the nuclear power plant indicated that when the plant had gone on the line…on safe. a) had been b)it had been 2)What does “go on the line " mean? 3)Is " that when the…safe” a noun clause? 4) Is “when the plant…safe” an adverb clause? PLEASE answer my third and forth questions!!!

That is the closest thing I could think of that would make sense.

The word in the original sentence is “safe”, not “sale”. Which should it be?

1. No, I don’t think so.

2. No, but the “when the plant had gone on line” part is.

You are right about question 4, but about my third question, I think it is a noun clause which has started with"that" and which includes an adverb clause. Correct me if I’m wrong please.

I am not 100% certain about #3. Could anyone else comment on this?

I do appreciate it if some one answers my third question!