Note vs Notice

Hi all,

1/ Is there a case that “note” and “notice” are interchangeable? If yes, please tell me the meaning ang give me an example. If no, please tell me the difference with example.

2/ Please fill the emty space:
The noun from “notice” is…
The noun from “note” is…

Thanks
K

The only situation I can think of where note and notice might be interchangeable would be when both are used in phrasal verbs with the word take:

take note (of)
take notice (of)

But, I’d say you’d be well advised to think of note and notice as never interchangeable.

There is not just one difference. There are various usages for both note and notice. And both are used as both nouns and verbs. Please check your dictionary or the online dictionaries.

2/ Please fill the emty space:
The noun from [color=blue]the verb “notice” is [color=indigo]notice/noticing
The noun from [color=blue]the verb “note” is [color=indigo]note/notation/noting

Amy

Hi Amy,

In the " Oxford dictionary":

Note: To notice or pay attention to sth.
Ex1: Please note that the th office will be closed on Monday.
Ex2: Note the the fine early Baroque altar inside the chapel.
Ex3: Note how these animals sometimes walk with their tails up in the air.

Notice: To pay attention to sth.

Ex4:She wears those strange clothes just to get herself noticed.
Ex5: My husband hardly seems to notice me any more.

The words “notice” and “note” from the examples 1 to 5 are interchangeable?(Hardly can I distinguish their different meaning if I base on their difinitions).

Thanks
K

If “note” and “notice” are the same meaning in all mentioned cases, the nouns of “note” and “notice” are still as follows:

The noun from the verb “notice” is notice/noticing
The noun from the verb “note” is note/notation/noting

???

Thanks
Khanh

Regarding the nouns, have you looked in the Oxford Dictionary yet? How would you propose using the verbs as nouns in the given sentences?

This sounds relatively formal and has the sense that you should pay attention and make a note to yourself. You could use notice and that would sound less formal.

You could also use notice, but note sounds more formal and is used to mean “pay attention to these very specific or small details.”

Examples 1,2 +3 are all commands.

You cannot use note in 4 + 5. Notice is used to mean “pay general attention to” or “see”.

Thanks,

What I’d like to say is nominalisation.
I 'll read carefully your ideas and I’ll share my ideas tomorrow. I have a meeting now. :smiley:

Many thanks
Khanh

Hi Yankee,

Many thanks for your interpretation. It’s very clear.
So, please read again:

Ex1:Note how these animals sometimes walk with their tails up in the air.

Ex2:My husband hardly seems to notice me any more.

Please change (a) and (b) into the sentences with the nouns of “note” and “notice”.Please write all ways of transformation.

Ex1: The …how these animals sometimes walk with their tails up in the air is necessary.

Ex2: My husband’s …on me is…

What’s I’d like to ask is the relevant nouns of “note” and “notice”.

Thanks
Khanh

I suggest you look at the meanings of the noun forms of these words.

Changing a sentence where the word has been used a verb into a sentence where the word is used in a noun form doesn’t always work well. Such sentences often simply sound odd, unnatural and “forced”. This was the reason I asked you to try to change these sentences yourself. I was hoping you’d notice the difficulty of doing so with these particular sentences yourself.

Ex1: Noting/noticing how these animals sometimes walk with their tails up in the air is necessary. I do not consider this sentence to be interchangeable with the original sentence.

Ex2: My husband’s notice/noticing of me seems to hardly ever happen anymore. Although this sentence is grammatically correct, it sounds “unnatural” and “forced”!!!

I suggest you simply practice building sentences based on the meanings of the nouns — rather than ruining perfectly good sentences where the words have been used as verbs.