Non-updateable, not updatable, etc

Hi

I suppose this might be not the very best English, but it’s still English. :slight_smile:

In many (technical) contexts there is a need to use something like
‘non-updateable’ as an adjective. Or as a value of an option.

And in technical texts it’s not a great surprise to meet phrases like:
no updatable installation of package

1. Which version do you prefer (:)) :
    updatable or updateable ?

2. –"- :

not updat(e)able
non-updat(e)able
no updat(e)able
[size=84](by the way, this is a value of an option in some software applications. Including Microsoft products :), if I’m not mistaken. )[/size]
something else
?

I prefer updateable, because the E after the T indicates that the first A should be pronounced as [ei]. In some places the word data is pronounced [d?ta], so for them the spelling updatable might be confusing.

I think which form of that term you use depends on the context and its part of speech in the sentence. In the predicate, it’s smoother to say not updateable, as in “The program is not updateable.” However, when you need an adjective before a noun, I have no problem with non-updateable in a technical context.

Hi Tamara

I personally find leaving the ‘e’ in the word to be overkill – but I also understand Jamie’s point. :smiley:

Both ‘datable’ and ‘dateable’ are accepted as correct spellings, so logically both ‘updatable’ and ‘updateable’ should also be correct – even though neither word is findable using One Look. 8) Dictionary.com seems to prefer ‘updatable’.

I agree with Jamie regarding not updatable and non-updatable.

Amy

Hi

Thank you, Jamie.
And Amy - for your validaton.

Hmm… :slight_smile:

It might be the third – deciding :slight_smile: – vote, but…
for example :), MS Word refuses ‘updatable’ at all. Resolutely.

So… the question about leaving ‘e’ still remain open… For me.

Hi Tamara

If you don’t mind having Bill Gates dictating what’s right and wrong in English, then you should test whether MS Word prefers datable or dateable – and then just add up- to Bill’s preference. :wink: :mrgreen:

Bill doesn’t make those decisions. Microsoft outsources to a company that specializes in dictionaries. I have dealt with them directly before.

Hi Tamara,

Just to comment: MS Word won’t accept my surname ‘Townend’ and wants to put an ‘s’ in. Happy Christmas Mr Gate.

A

You’re supposed to shut off auto-correct.

That’s clear, Jamie, but I think Tamara will get my little joke. :wink:

OK, lady and gentlemen. :slight_smile:

So… My personal current decision (about that ill-fated ‘e’) is the following:

• to stop my home version of M$ Word to teach me English 8)
  • when using public PCs (where the software automatically insert ‘e’ in the word as soon as you get a bit inattentive :slight_smile: – just to submit it, as a fact. Turning a blind eye.
  • to put on you a share of responsibility for my - still poor! - English :), as now I’m going to write a letter to Mr Gate about the crying facts (starting the long list of complaints from the one Alan mentioned above).

Thanks [size=67]for your attention.[/size] :slight_smile:

You could use GoogleBattle to decide:

[url]NameBright - Coming Soon