non-defining and defining clause

Hi, there, i am confused to decide whether i have to combine the two sentences into non-defining or defining clause…i want to know if the word “new” here has given extra information.help me please!! thanks a lot.

1. [size=150]The new stadium will be opened next month.(It can hold 90,000 people)[/size]

How to combine these sentences into one by using relative clause??is it non-defining or defining???
2. [size=150]There was a strike at the car factory. It lasted ten days. It is now over.[/size]

Hi Nelly,

Here’s an idea:

The new stadium, which can hold 90,000 people will be opened next month.

Here the conjunction ‘which’ induces a non-defining relative clause since it conveys further information.

A defining relative clause defines the subject. Here you don’t need a comma before the conjunction.

A commuter is a someone who travels to work by bus or train.

There is a small typo in that sentence – it needs a second comma:

The new stadium, which can hold 90,000 people[color=blue], will be opened next month.

hi, i want to thank for the replies from you.how about the second number?how to combine those sentences???

There are many ways to combine those 3 sentences into 1 sentence. Here are just a few examples.

There was a 10 day strike at the car factory, which is now over.
The strike at the car factory, which is now over, lasted 10 days.
Although the strike at the car factory lasted 10 days, it is now over.
The 10 day car factory strike is now over.
There was a strike at the car factory lasting 10 days, but it’s over now.
There was a car factory strike lasting 10 days, which is now over.

thanks for the replies from Skrei, Raft and Yankee…

As respects this sentence

1. The new stadium will be opened next month.(It can hold 90,000 people)
    You can put it this way : The new stadium which wil be opened next week can hold 90,000 people.

For this sentence
2. There was a strike at the car factory. It lasted ten days. It is now over.
You can put it this way.
The strike at the car factory that lasted ten days is now over.

We can further discusss

Are you sure??If you try to combine those sentences such a way, they will become “Defining clauses”.From the replies i got before, they must be in “Non-Defining Clauses”.
so??